Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(10-09-2020, 09:08 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: @ItsGoTime Sure, but does DP being expendable mean they can trade him, coming off of an Achilles injury? 

The only way you can move Powell is if HE comes back and plays well again. And ironically, if he were to do that, I’m not sure they’d want to move him. 

They LIKE Powell. They DON’T think he’s overpaid (before the injury). They gave him the contract. 

I think they’d try to move him at some point if the needed to clear space for 2021, but I don’t think they look at him like a problem, the way he’s viewed around here.
I think a healthy Powell would’ve made a pretty big difference in the Clippers series, personally. 

I also think WCS could’ve made a difference, though to a smaller extent, due to his lack of comparative familiarity with the Dallas systems on both sides of the court. By NEXT year’s playoffs, he should be in the swing of things if he’s not traded, right? 

Why does this have to be Palestine vs Israel, Coke vs Pepsi, etc? Can’t we just be excited that it looks like the team is getting TWO good players back?
I don't see the minutes availability, barring injury, for the two of them to show they are what we need. One of them is going to win the lion's share of the minutes while the other will be relegated to Boban status (again, barring injury). In other words, I don't believe there will be a chance for your scenario of both DP and WCS to show they deserve big contracts. 

So, if WCS wins the lion's share, DP should go on the trade block (to get whatever we can for him even if it means using a future pick to do it, because we'll want that money for WCS's contract, and in the scenario where we can't move off of it, we still pay the better player who has shown to be a good fit on the team! In other words, cross that bridge). If DP "wins" the the lion's share, WCS won't be wanted by the FO, so it won't matter what other teams will pay for him.

Also, I don't believe DP will need to show any more than about 80% of pre-injury capability in order to receive the benefit of the doubt I've been talking about from the team, where WCS is gonna have to show more than 80% of DP's pre-injury capability (not skill for skill, but as a whole).
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & Free Agency (Nov 20?) + Salary Chart - by ItsGoTime - 10-09-2020, 09:35 AM