Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(10-07-2020, 01:11 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: With in mind that I think they do the following:

1. Upgrade Wright with a pick (likely 18) for some expiring veteran out there that is brought in as a starter. This will be Cubes "win now" move. It also will clear off Wright's money in 2021.
2. Bring back Burke + other small moves to shore up some roster holes. Mavs will use MLE money that isn't guaranteed in 2021 or adds only a small amount to '21 books.
3. Probably draft a player with #31 and use part of MLE if they find a player they like there.

I basically agree with this. The most elegant move to be better in 2020/21 while staying flexible in 2021 is trading Wright for a better fitting expiring player. Guys like Snell, J.Johnson or Young might be available for lower picks like future seconds or even less, guys like Schroeder, Richardson will require (at least) #18. Oubre would be great, but I think Phoenix would prefer cap space if they are moving him (to go after some free agent like VanVleet). Still it could be done with a third team involved. I really hope we could get someone like Schroeder and his bird rights. 

I would even promote to spend the MLE on a long term contract. Because it really shouldn't be a problem to move one of MLE/Curry/Kleber/Powell to sign a max guy to a max contract if one wants to come. If max guys aren't available, we either resign THJ and (for example) Schroeder or still have up to 25 million to play with if we let both go.

I don't really see any reason to sign Burke unless we move Curry or Brunson. I don't see him as a starter on a contender and it would be a waste to have him as our third PG - I am sure he wants a bigger role. I don't see it possible that a bench of Brunson-Burke-Curry could work well together. Burke is a great guy, but I guess it makes more sense for both sides if he signs somewhere else. He can say thank you to Mavs to help him significantly improve his market value.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & Free Agency (Nov 20?) + Salary Chart - by omahen - 10-07-2020, 05:12 PM