Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
As doubtful as it is, could OPJ opt out of his contract in agreement with Chicago to S&T him to Dallas? Dallas would have to agree to give him a deal longer than one year for more money than he’d get as a FA, but this could be a way to get him on a winning team and convince Chicago to help him out to get back some “value” (Wright + Jackson + 31). If so, his first year salary could be no more than $19,029,650 (a $9million loss in year one), so year two would have to be close to $20mil (to recover the $9mil loss, and slightly more than what MLE offers would be next summer at the remaining $11mil).

I don’t want to trade THJ for OPJ. Dallas would be far better off having both players here compared to just one. But the salary makes it difficult to find a reasonable trade. In fact, I find very few options using these parameters.

I’ve seen it mentioned that the MLE addition could be used in a trade at the deadline, but what if OPJ has a healthy and very productive season? Then the cost to acquire him goes up and potentially takes Dallas out of the running or costs one of Maxi/Curry/Brunson (who I attempt to retain in any OPJ trade, although maybe you could convince me to part with Brunson).

(This section may not be accurate, but I tired to research what I could to make this as accurate as possible before posting) Trades centered on Wright + Jackson are tough. Using 2019-2020 salaries, they can be traded for someone making $5mil more than them, which would be a salary no more than $17,754,607. Otto Porter Jr. needs $22,250,576 to salary match, which is basically a $4.5 million difference. Dallas would need to acquire a player making no less than $17,254,607 but could not get anyone that exceeds $17,754,607. Favors and Jackson were the only two player that fell in that category, and neither of them are eligible to be traded, so this is a dead end. Using 2020-2021 salaries, Jackson and Wright (total salary $14,029,650) can bring back a player making up to $19,029,650. A trade for Otto Porter Jr. using next season's salary would need to be at least $23,489,239. Here, Dallas and Chicago have more options. Dallas needs at least $18,489,239 in salary to match OPJ. Here, I found 2 players: Terry Rozier at $18,900,000 and Julius Randle at $18,900,000. For Chicago, Randle makes the most sense of the two candidates considering how many guards they currently have and Randle fits their timeline slightly better (25yrs vs. 26yrs.).

Rumors in NY say they are looking to trade Randle, would a package of Wright, Jackson, and 18 OR 31 be enough? For Chicago, would Randle + 18 OR 31 be enough? I think Ney York and Chicago are 50-50 on the deal, but here's what could push them over. Wright and Jackson (and cap relief) make more sense to New York than Randle. Frank and Dennis have struggled in NY and there are always rumors that both of them could be headed elsewhere, so Wright gives them an older backup guard. Jackson is a flyer, and if he improves could be worth something as an expiring. The draft pick adds to their capital and is the big sweetener for helping Dallas get OPJ. In return for their help, they receive pick 31. For Chicago, again, Randle fits the timeline slightly better, saves money, and has a small guarantee for 2021-2022. If he works out well, they keep him or trade him to get more value. If not, they cut him and still end up saving more than with OPJ. Randle is a better get than Wright and Jackson, as I feel he has a better chance to rebuild his value quickly and be moved due to the low guaranteed amount in 2021. Because of this, I don't think Chicago will demand a draft pick, but if they do then trade them Miami's 2023 second round pick. (Honestly, the picks could go either way, maybe Dallas trades 18 and 31 because Chicago and NY are adamant that they receive them...If Dallas loses both picks in this deal, I would like to see them pick up either one of Chicago or New York's second round picks this draft or next year, but I would not consider it a deal breaker)

Final Recap:

I believe Dallas would have to trade for Randle, and then trade Randle for OPJ (two separate, two team transactions, not one 3 team transaction)

Incoming for each team
Dal: OPJ
NY: Wright/Jackson/31
CHI: Randle/Miami '23 second round pick
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & Free Agency (Nov 20?) + Salary Chart - by SamStetz - 10-05-2020, 11:06 PM