Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(10-05-2020, 12:12 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I categorically reject your continued assertion that OPJ could "replace the contributions of THJ on offense." I think this is an extremely false foundation for your argument and drastically misses the mark on how important THJ was for the team this year. He understands his role here and played it really, really well. Getting him shots was a cornerstone goal of the offense, and he knows how to get open and get them off. 
Now we're actually getting somewhere instead of sniping snide comments here and there. 

Did you think THJ would contribute like he did before this year started? I give you the Luka effect. You take a player who shoots 93.3% on catch and shoot 3's for his whole career and what does Luka turn him into? 

A guy who has played 3rd banana on offense with 2 stars in Wall and Beal and showed when given the opportunity and spacing that those 2 stars allowed, he'll hit at a high percentage. Now insert Luka who knows how to and wants to hit the open man on the court and does it better than Wall or Beal and I can only imagine what that looks like for a career 40.4% 3pt shooter on 3.3 attempts (not a small amount over a 7 year career and in the low to mid 4 attempts per after his first 2 years).

A player who for the first 5 years of his career, as his minutes and role increased, his numbers increased. That, to me, is a guy you want on the team. Is he the be all end all? I don't think so. But he is for sure more than just another role player. I can't see him coming in here and not accepting a role like THJ's and not being able to fill it on offense.

As far as THJ, you say he understood his role here, but you're ignoring the defensive side of the ball. I can't imagine his role there was to miss assignments and not do well. However, keep giving lip service to needing better defense while not caring whether or not we get better defenders.

(10-05-2020, 01:15 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: The great thing about him is that he is a net positive on offense and defense. Really balanced skill set and impact.
One other thing to ask about this.

How easy is it to find this in one player in the NBA?
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & Free Agency (Nov 20?) + Salary Chart - by ItsGoTime - 10-05-2020, 12:55 PM