Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(10-05-2020, 11:54 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: All the better if it takes less than THJ to land OPJ. THJ is just the easiest way to salary match without having to do 3 for 1. 

Are you suggesting that Wright, JJ and a SnT of Lee would be enough to get OPJ? I find it hard to believe that that offer isn't beaten.

I think what he's suggesting (and what I think) is that you get the best deal you can for Wright/Jackson, Wright/picks, or all of the above. Depends on what's out there.

If that's OPJ, great, though we have no idea whether they like him or not. If OPJ is not available for that, you look elsewhere. He's a role player. Find another one. 

I categorically reject your continued assertion that OPJ could "replace the contributions of THJ on offense." I think this is an extremely false foundation for your argument and drastically misses the mark on how important THJ was for the team this year. He understands his role here and played it really, really well. Getting him shots was a cornerstone goal of the offense, and he knows how to get open and get them off. 

I believe that he is worth more (straight up) in trade than OPJ, a role player on a bad team with a history of injuries and underachieving. I don't hate OPJ AT ALL, but I'm certainly not interested in swapping those players for each other. I think the Mavs are likely to be WORSE next year if they do that. Since the goal is likely to be letting either player expire and come off of the books next year anyway, why take the chance? 

If you can turn Wright (or even Powell) into OPJ, somehow, that's an ADDITIONAL expiring contract. That's when it would get interesting, to me.

(10-05-2020, 11:54 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I guess now that you know Dan likes him, no more wet blanket.

Yeah, I must not have been making myself clear, sorry. 

I don't dislike OPJ, I just don't think he's anywhere remotely close to the difference making player you seem to think he is. It's not about hating him, it's about NOT hating what the Mavs have already established as their identity. 

I DO think OPJ would fit here, but I don't think he'd help so much that he's worth "whatever it takes" to get him. 

I'm not rejecting OPJ, just the idea of trading THJ for him.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & Free Agency (Nov 20?) + Salary Chart - by KillerLeft - 10-05-2020, 12:12 PM