Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(10-05-2020, 11:17 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote:
(10-05-2020, 09:01 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: For salary purposes we'd have to do THJ and JJ. After that, I proposed a 2023 second to make Chi whole on their trade to get him with draft picks. I believe that would mostly beat any offer there is for OPJ, and if they didn't think so, I'd throw in another second and so on to the point where I would have no problem giving up the 2025 first. Beyond that I would say, OK, we'll just compete for him in FA after he then knows how much we wanted him.

I'm a big fan of OPJ on this team and would love to have him in his contract year if possible.  But, I see no point in trading THJ for him.  The idea is to ADD to the roster.  I'd much rather do a deal centered on Wright and Jackson with Lee filling in the needed salary.  BTW, OPJ would be eligible for an extension if we liked what we saw once he hit the court.

Chicago is truly the Island of Misfit Toys with new people at the top.  Who knows what they will do.  The trick with them (and anyone else where Wright might go) is figuring out if he's a fit there.  It is possible he could fit, but they would have to pass on a PG with their pick and not attempt to retain Dunn.  If they did those things they'd have Sato, White and LaVine.  Or, maybe they deal LaVine opening the need for another guard.  Is it possible Wright could be an asset?  Maybe.  Unfortunately, he could also be seen as an obstacle to max cap room in 2021.   Of course, OPJ would also be an obstacle which is why they might consider getting some value for him rather than letting him walk.  He is basically their only wing, so, drafting a wing or getting one in trade, might strengthen the argument that OPJ could be traded.  Lots of ifs there for any of this to feel very likely.

All the better if it takes less than THJ to land OPJ. THJ is just the easiest way to salary match without having to do 3 for 1. 

Are you suggesting that Wright, JJ and a SnT of Lee would be enough to get OPJ? I find it hard to believe that that offer isn't beaten.

Do you have any picks suggested in the trade? With Wright, it seems like you would almost have to include a first (2025 or this year unsigned either way) which there are those who believe you have to include to get off his contract anyway.

As far as adding to the roster, I believe swapping THJ for OPJ IS adding to the roster. You add a defensive player AND an offensive player to the roster (both in a single player package) while you let go of an offensive player. That's adding to me, or as I've been saying it, improving the roster.

(10-05-2020, 11:49 AM)KillerLeft Wrote:
(10-05-2020, 11:17 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: I'm a big fan of OPJ on this team and would love to have him in his contract year if possible.  But, I see no point in trading THJ for him.  The idea is to ADD to the roster.  I'd much rather do a deal centered on Wright and Jackson with Lee filling in the needed salary.  BTW, OPJ would be eligible for an extension if we liked what we saw once he hit the court.

[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=12720585]
I guess now that you know Dan likes him, no more wet blanket.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & Free Agency (Nov 20?) + Salary Chart - by ItsGoTime - 10-05-2020, 11:54 AM