Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(10-04-2020, 05:36 AM)omahen Wrote:
(10-04-2020, 02:56 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Chi got him for Portis, Parker and a protected 23 second.

Yes, because he had a multiyear overpaid contract. He is expiring now, huge difference.
Ok, I give you this is not a bad counter. It was only 1.25 years more than now, but it was longer. Expiring comes with it's own set of risks though on a player a team wants to keep.

(10-04-2020, 02:56 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: THJ alone beats that deal so your THJ and Jackson deal without picks works just fine

I don't see why Chicago would do that without at least #18. They don't need THJ, they need OPJ. And the deal only saves them a couple of millions. So no motivation on this end either.
I myself would do 18 on top, I don't think that's a bad deal either. I stopped attaching this year's picks once Dan started chastising me for doing it with THJ. Perhaps 2025 protected first, I'd do that if we believe he's a guy that would resign. I'd also attach the signing rights to our 18th pick in the deal, I believe OPJ is that much of an upgrade. He won't be 28 until roughly next offseason so he's right in his prime years.

(10-04-2020, 02:56 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: They save lots of money

Not really, they save less than 5 million. 
Give yourself "less than $5M" and say that again.

(10-04-2020, 02:56 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Did you just say you didn't think Chi was rebuilding?

Yeah, perhaps not correct word. They are in a rebuilding process, but they will certainly not be tanking. They already said they want to be better. They also brought a serious coach. And even if they would be tanking, that is just another reason for them not to do the trade without at least one FRP attached, since we are not giving young players with upside.
I have no clue why Chi fans and beat writers have said they think OPJ is a problem that needs to be purged, which is what started this as a wishlist project for me, but they have. Because of that, I want him close to as much as I wanted RoCo, which I have no idea why any team would get rid of him either. If he's leaving Chicago, I want him coming to Dallas, plain and simple.

(10-04-2020, 02:56 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: THJ + Jackson + 23 second is pretty close if not the best offer they get for OPJ IMO

Might be, it is difficult to match his salary and improve. But this doesn't mean they will accept it. I wouldn't. I mean, why would I? If you think THJ is better or equal player to OPJ, why are you trading him?
Read the above.
I'm glad you concede the rest of what I wrote, makes this back and forth much easier.

Last thing, I said "hopefully not 3rd best, but 3rd in number" in a parenthetical caveat to OPJ. I meant hopefully not 3rd best offensive player, not 3rd best overall, because with his defensive capability, he would be just as important as most 22ppg offense mostly players we could bring in. For instance, I believe OPJ's game to be more valuable to this team than Lavine's, who I believe offensively would be stymied by Luka and KP's presence (either that or one of those two's offense would be stymied from his presence, either way, it's too much high powered offense on a starting unit).
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & Free Agency (Nov 20?) + Salary Chart - by ItsGoTime - 10-04-2020, 09:54 AM