Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(10-03-2020, 09:09 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote:
(10-03-2020, 06:04 PM)omahen Wrote:
(10-03-2020, 06:00 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: But if it wasn't just a hot streak, he's better right now than Brunson will ever be, and I'm a Brunson fan. If it's for the minimum (I think he'll cost more) you don't hesitate to bring him back, especially if you're moving Wright.

I don't agree. Unless you think he is a starter (I don't), your bench would have Brunson, Burke and Curry. It would not work. Burke should be signed only if Brunson or Curry are traded. I am not even puting Wright in the equation, he should be traded, if possible.

The thing about Burke is, if we go BPA regardless of readiness, don't make significant trades, and punt the MLE because we don't want to add more longterm salary, and just use a portion of it to sign Burke, then I think Burke damn straight is our starter. Luka-Burke-THJ-DFS-KP. If you didn't do anything to get that 3rd-best guy, then I don't perceive any reasonable argument that Burke isn't superior to all of the other options on roster given his skillset. Burke showed in the bubble that he is able to create his own shot and can play next to Luka. There might be an argument that Brunson is the better player because he can create for others. IDGAfreak; Brunson has shown that his game (and perhaps his attitude, from I subjectively observed) doesn't effectively fit with Luka's. I would say Brunson and Burke are about even defensively - you don't want either of them guarding anyone but the other team's point guard, so don't switch on the PnR. Throw in on top of that that Brunson is our best trade chip if you do make a trade. If the Mavs don't use the full MLE, and don't trade for Jrue (safe bet) or Schroder (please, please, please), then Burke is a good-enough stopgap for that type of player (which I've been saying for the past month is a greater need for us even than a defensive wing).

BTW, I'm calling baloney sandwich on this ongoing narrative that Burke is some kind of scrub. He was one of the Knicks' best players (damning with faint praise, but still) the year we traded for him. He had a PER northwards of 15 (few Mavs outside of our two stars and Bobi and Powell's relative fools' gold could say that). The issue was that he was expiring, and the Mavs targeted Wright as the big, playmaking guy next to Luka they were hoping for, so Burke didn't make a lot of sense. Well, guess what happened with Wright. When you trade away Wright, Burke replaces what he was supposed to be (although his skillset and Wright's supposed skillset are a bit different since Burke is littler) - unless of course, you trade for (or draft, if we somehow get Halliburton) someone better.

I'd love to have Burke back. 
Luka, Brunson, Burke is near to perfect for me. 
I'm not sure it's possible because he might get more than the Vetmin and I hope we find someone, who is worth the full MLE, if it's just as trade fodder. 

I like Burke as a (part time)starter, as it moves Luka to SF/PF on defence what suits him better. We can't do this against Dame/Westbroke etc..

If I think about it, I prefer to give RC 3 starters and 6 situational starters than 5 starters and scrubs.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & Free Agency (Nov 20?) + Salary Chart - by Mapka - 10-04-2020, 01:32 AM