Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(10-03-2020, 09:00 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote:
(10-02-2020, 08:02 PM)cjeter24 Wrote:
Did anyone read the Athletic article about Buddy? Sounds like he may want out of Sacramento but it was locked behind a paywall and I'm poor lol. 

He's sort of a better shooting version of THJ so I wouldn't pay a crazy amount for him. But he's locked in on a declining contract and that really intrigues me. He's on a great value deal. And I can't help but wonder if he does even a bit better shooting with a good supporting cast around him.

Mostly details the history of his unhappiness in Sacramento.  A deal has to return between $19.9 and $31.2 million unless he's traded to a team with room.  Lot's of talk about Philly, but neither Horford nor Harris make sense for Sacramento.  Taking back big long term money doesn't help them retain Bogdanovic or extend Fox.

You know I could really talk myself into a deal revolving around THJ and Brunson for Buddy. Does that include one or both of our picks? Idk... Depends on what else we get. 
But for me I think you get a more consistent shooting Hardaway style player that I think has a much higher ceiling in the offense. If you like THJ here long term than Buddy makes a lot of sense. 

I happen to like THJ long term in the right role. 
I think with Buddy he's also got the gunner mentality that you maybe even move him to 6th man at some point and have your super 6th man.

(10-03-2020, 03:57 PM)cow Wrote:
(10-03-2020, 03:43 PM)Kammrath Wrote:
(10-03-2020, 03:40 PM)omahen Wrote: So how can you consider this as lower risk compared to Oladipo?

I am saying based on what assets I think you have to give to get them. 

I think Dipo empties the cupboard and then likely loses his own "asset" value. 

I think Buddy is at least an asset as a PROVEN NBA floor spacer and high volume three point shooter. And you have to give up less to get him more than likely.

The problem is that Buddy is entering a 4YR 100M extension.  *ALERT* Vlade gave him that contract *ALERT*

The ceiling for his defensive side of the floor is average.  Can you put enough defensive minded players around he and Luka to have a top 15 defense?  Not sure.

He'd give you an offensive punch and could probably average 20-22 points per game where Dipo and THJ are going to be 15-18.  Buddy is a defensive liability.  Dipo is at least an average defender.  THJ tries hard so I'd rank him above Budy.

The plus side is that you know what he costs, his contract numbers lessen as the years progress and like you said, he can probably be had for less assets than Dipo.  Dipo probably costs you more if you want to resign him. 

THJ would be the least expensive option moving forward so we should keep that door open if other options don't present themselves.

If Buddy doesn't mesh with Carlisle, how easy is that contract to move?  Can you return anything of value or are we dumping him like we did Harry?

THJ was a complete defensive liability when he first got here. Now he's at least probably an average defender with his effort. He's not a huge defensive liability anymore at least. 
Alot of times you just need effort. 

We've seen time and time again once a guy gets out of a losing situation he can work at it and at least not be awful 
Even Harden has actually turned into an average defender now.

As far as Buddy's contract and RC is concerned. I don't think Buddy is a problem. He didn't have a problem at OU. Sacramento is a joke and I'm sure he's sick of it. 

I love his contract. It's declining and just going to continue to get more and more valuable. 

20ish mill for a 20ppg guy on over 40% shooting is pretty dang good value IMO. If the cap doesn't lower at least/

(10-03-2020, 11:23 PM)chaparral Wrote: Here's a 4 team 8 player trade that could possibly help all 4 teams.  There are plenty of 1st and 2nd round picks to swap or add to make this work.

Mavs give up Curry and Wright.  Kings give up Bjelica, Hield and Holmes.  76ers give up Horford and Richardson.  Magic only give up Gordon.

Here's the good new, Mavs get Gordon and Richardson to add to there starting line-up (Porzingis, Hardaway and Doncic).  Bad news is there is $12.1 mil added to the payroll and they loose both 18 and 31.  Then the could use the MLE on a back-up SG/F type like Justin Holiday?

The Kings get to move off of Hield but have to take Horford to do so.  But they add Curry as the back-up SG and save $1.2 mil for the year.

76ers get Hield to add to there scoring and Holmes to replace Horford.  Plus they save the most at $8.9 mil.

Magic get Bjelica to replace Gordon and Wright as there back-up PG.  Plus they save $1.9 mil in the process.  ORL might require most of the picks to go along with this 4 team trade.

This trade worked on tradenba.com but I could not figure out how to copy and past it on this site?

Sounds like a good idea. The issue with 4 team trades are that they never happen lol. 
Barring a really big name at least.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & Free Agency (Nov 20?) + Salary Chart - by cjeter24 - 10-04-2020, 12:10 AM