Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(10-03-2020, 06:04 PM)omahen Wrote:
(10-03-2020, 06:00 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: But if it wasn't just a hot streak, he's better right now than Brunson will ever be, and I'm a Brunson fan. If it's for the minimum (I think he'll cost more) you don't hesitate to bring him back, especially if you're moving Wright.

I don't agree. Unless you think he is a starter (I don't), your bench would have Brunson, Burke and Curry. It would not work. Burke should be signed only if Brunson or Curry are traded. I am not even puting Wright in the equation, he should be traded, if possible.

We've been over this before, but I'll play again.

The Burke we saw against the Clippers could do EVERYTHING you need in one player. He was a catch and shoot threat (not as good as Curry, but way good enough), he could play point guard, he could be a secondary driver/playmaker next to Luka, and he wasn't terrible defensively. I think he has elite 6th man and situational starter written all over him if he can be that player consistently. 

I agree that there's a chance the Clippers series was a freak thing, but for the minimum??? I'll find out. Personally, I'd pay a bit more to find out, though I can understand why some wouldn't. 

I agree that this results in the roster having too many small guards on it, but Burke is the biggest and longest of them, and again, IF he's the same player you saw in the Clippers series, then I say that makes Brunson or Curry expendable as trade assets, where I feel they'd have some value. In other words, I don't look at him as a backup plan if I have to move one of those guys, I look at him as a way of being able to move one of those guys. 

It's the same philosophy I'd apply to the draft. You take the best players you can, regardless of fit, because you need people who can play. If you end up having too many in some areas, that's what you call a "good problem," as it means your war chest is starting to fill up. I'd much rather draft a PG who I KNOW can have a career in the league than a forward who I'm HOPING can have a career in the league, and Luka and Brunson being on the roster wouldn't stop me from trusting my instincts on the available players. I'll move that PG in a year, or Brunson, to make the team better.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & Free Agency (Nov 20?) + Salary Chart - by KillerLeft - 10-03-2020, 06:15 PM