Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(10-03-2020, 04:14 PM)cow Wrote:
(10-03-2020, 03:49 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote:
(10-03-2020, 03:34 PM)omahen Wrote: You are seriously downplaying Oladipo. While he is not the best first banana, he can be an excellent third banana and certainly much better third banana than THJ. While THJ had a good season offensively, he is not what we need defensively. Dipo can be. The only question with Dipo is if he can stay healthy. Getting him now certainly improves possibility to keep him in 2021.
Why?

Maybe he comes here, realizes Luka dominates the ball all the time and he doesn´t like it. Maybe he has a bust-up with Carlisle like virtually every point guard ever, even those that eventually work it out. Then he has an easy out.

Of course it can help, too. We don´t know.

There is also a possibility our draft pick shows serious potential like a Tyler Herro and then we (could) move him on with Kleber+Wright to Indiana at the trade deadline in March and still sign a max FA next summer.

Always blowing assets on maximizing 12 months windows has been our operating style for the last 15 years. Just once take a long-term approach, which IN REALITY is only a window from Nov 20th. to (roughly) Sep 1st. Nine months!

I can´t believe so many can´t wait nine months for a shot to build a dynasty, because they need immediate 2nd round gratification. LeBron didn´t leave the Cavs, because they made no decisions. He left, because they had no good plan and made stupid decisions.

Ideally you'd acquire assets (even in the short term) that would improve the team and would be able to be moved should Giannis want to come here (spoiler:  that's not happening).  Teams have proven time and time again that if a superstar wants to come to your team, you can maneuver to make that happen.

You can give valid reasons for why LeBron left Cleveland but I'd counter that Dirk should have left Dallas with all the Plan Powder punting the MBT did from 2012 onwards.  Forcing trades isn't a good idea for player retention but neither is spinning your tires in the mud.  Plan Powder is why Giannis isn't on this team in the first place.  What's Shane Larkin up to anyway?

Reminder that this last offseason we helped botch a trade with Heat (speaking of teams that found a way to fit a Superstar on their team), couldn't get a conversation with PatBev (much less Kemba), got strung along by Danny Green (!!!) and had Delon Wright as one of their big free agent signings.  I think people are putting too much stock in "they'll want to come play with Luka" narrative.  The MBT at the very least needs some new blood (not suggesting replacements) when it comes to recruiting free agents.  They've fallen on their faces way too many time for me to ever think we'll land a big fish, much less Giannis.

Exactly. Giannis not being drafted is the exact result of the "win as many games as you can next season"-approach. No time to wait on a project for three years, which I have already explained is also a bunch of BS. If a rookie has it, it usually takes him 12-18 months to be a solid contributor. Giannis averaged 13/7/3 at the end of his second season. That summer we signed Aminu to play his position.

I don´t mind bringing in Dario Saric for the MLE and maybe a project like Harry Giles. Stock-pile young-ish assets. Draft the BPA at #18+#31. Use the next season to win as many games as you can with them, nurture your assets and work the back channels for 2021 FA, so you got the deals done on opening day (like all other teams).

The only part I´m totally opposed to is giving up assets to make our 2021 FA signing a year early. If Jrue Holiday and Victor Oladipo want to be here, they´ll sign in the summer or can be acquired on a further discount at the 2021 trade deadline.

Look if you feel Aaron Gordon, Buddy Hield or Myles Turner ARE the guy, then go ahead and make your move. They won´t be available for free next summer either.

Just signing Dario Saric for example can also reduce the playing burden on Porzingis and Powell in the condensed 2020/2021 season to protect them from further injuries. Nothing would be more disastrous to our prospects of keeping Luka than Porzingis having another major injury due to overplaying him.

The decisions simply should not be made with a "Win next season"-mindset, but rather how can I improve every season and sustain it.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & Free Agency (Nov 20?) + Salary Chart - by Mavs2019 - 10-03-2020, 05:01 PM