Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(10-03-2020, 04:38 PM)cow Wrote: I'd give up 18+31 and not think twice about it.  That's coming from me, the co-founder of the Powell fan club and OPJ hater club.  Chicago still says no.  Even if they want off of OPJ's 28M this year, they'd inherit 22M of Powell in '22/'23, 8.5M of Wright in '22.

I like Powell, too. I don't love OPJ, either. 

I'm just saying, Powell and Wright have contracts that we see as obstacles when it comes to roster building, but it's not like they're Chandler Parsons, Ian Mahinmi, Jon Wall, etc. It's conceivable that there are multiple teams out there who WANT those players, and are at points of their timeline where having cap flexibility is no longer an option (like where the Mavs will be from about 2022 until Luka retires). 

I don't know that Chicago wants them, and I'm inclined to agree with your analysis of the trade. But, I'm FAR from the thinking that the Mavs are painted into a corner, and that's specifically BECAUSE they haven't done anything stupid and desperate for a couple of years. My point is that it would make me happy for them to continue not doing stupid, desperate things. If that means missing out on some deals, I'm FIIIIIIINNNNNNNE with that.

If a true, blue "can't pass this up" deal presents itself, you take it. If not, you draft some guys you like, win 50 games and hope internal development gets you to the 2nd round. If it does, great. If not, that's ok, because you're now at the 2021 off season! If that off season comes and goes without giving you what you need, THEN it's time to start taking some risks.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & Free Agency (Nov 20?) + Salary Chart - by KillerLeft - 10-03-2020, 04:47 PM