Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(10-02-2020, 08:33 AM)StepBackJay Wrote: So yall I am talking myself into going all in on Oladipo. His stock is lower for many reasons and the Pacers are going to have to move him. I think this is your shot to get a third star this off-season.

So with that I think I'd be willing to give up any combination of assets not names Luka or KP to offer Indy the best deal you can offer. That could include some guys we love bur role guys can be replaced. To be a real contender you probably need that third star in place.
How have you talked yourself into it? He's 29, coming off a major injury, had one complete outlier season (we are not talking about years of consistent elite play), and has a game almost purely predicated on athleticism. None of this is a recipe for either a player that will age well, or even see him ever be an All Star caliber player again. If you really want him go after him in free agency.

Even if you take away the injuries and pretend like they never happened, he is exactly the type of player who's skillset usually has a short peak who is a role player by his early 30's, because he doesn't really have the skillset to adapt and maintain elite play once the athleticism goes. Also did anyone actually watch much of him this year? Yeah he had a few nice games, but his athletic edge was CLEARLY not there compared to pre injury. Go check out some other boards where Pacers fans are confirming it. You can assume it will come back because it was just his first season back.... to me this is no less risky than taking a boom or bust pick in the draft. At least the draft pick isn't costing a bunch of assets and can leave next season.

(10-02-2020, 04:24 PM)SleepingHero Wrote:
(10-02-2020, 12:47 PM)Kammrath Wrote:
(10-02-2020, 08:33 AM)StepBackJay Wrote: So yall I am talking myself into going all in on Oladipo.

He TERRIFIES me. 

If you get peak Oladipo that is GREAT (but unlikely to me)....if you get current Oladipo then you have wasted a couple years of Luka (which is likely).

I don't see how this is true at all.

At best, not only have the Mavs found their 3rd star, but they found objectively one of the best pairings in the backcourt for Luka AND the team as a whole. Oladipo was elite as a playmaker in the PnR for the Pacers. Someone that can run the offense fine without Luka on the court. He was about league average at 3. He was an All NBA defensive guard that was capable of guarding anyone under 6'8. And he was athletic as all hell. If he returns to what he was, then the Mavs found the dude. 

At worst, Oladipo expires at the end of 2021 season . Mavs can cut him loose and chase another star in that loaded free agency class that they are already planning to do anyways. There will be plenty to choose from. Giannis. Kawhi, Lebron, PG, Beal, Jrue Holiday and a glut of quality role players. Even if the doomsday scenario is the most likely outcome, losing Oladipo doesn't change the fact that the Mavs have a top 5 NBA player and MVP candidate, and another top 20 player both under 26 to offer to potential FA's. Something that literally no one else can offer. 

Currently Dipo looked like a shell of himself coming back. He was still solid averaging 15ppg on some bad shooting with flashes of defensive potential. And while that can be a red flag to stay away, I see it as a perfect buy low opportunity. The fact he's forcing himself out lowers his price even more since other teams will be scared off with him potentially wanting to leave the moment he hits free agency. 

Given all these downsides and potential restrictions I can see Dipo being had for a cheap price. One that the Mavs can be competitive in. If they get him for a meager package of THJ+18+31+1 role player (Brunson, Wright, or Jackson), then it'd be highway robbery.
If this doesn't work out, which is pretty likely (Oladipo doesn't get back his athleticism or All Star form and/or leaves) this team will be totally bereft of tradeable assets and will be solely reliant on FA for any decent additions. We know how that typically works out.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & Free Agency (Nov 20?) + Salary Chart - by Dundalis - 10-03-2020, 08:19 AM