Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(10-02-2020, 08:02 PM)cjeter24 Wrote: Yeah I think based on the rumored names, the guys we went after, etc they clearly wanted another playmaking guard. And based on the success of Burke (who was barely an nba player at signing) it was a great idea. 

I'd speculate one step further that I think they wanted a playmaking guard and a 3d guard effectively making it a 3 guard system. That's also Carlisles wet dream lol. 

But with Luka being so big and a combo forward like DFS, that lineup could wind up being phenomenal with the right signings. Luka is basically your other forward in that scenario despite whatever offensive position he plays. 

I feel like you are basically saying the same thing as my post here... But wasn't quite sure.

So for me... I'm interested in Dipo but... It's more of a fallback option at this point. If it's Dipo or no trade...I take Dipo. 

Otherwise I'd rather try to sign him next summer. The risk is much lower because we'll know his game level and health a bit more clearly. 

I guess a playmaker can come from any position nowadays, but guard seems likely as it would be helpful to have someone who can guard the other teams lead ball handler (often a guard, but not always).

Vegas line on where Oladipo plays next:

Indy +150
Miami +300
Boston +400
Dallas +550
Denver +700

To me, history is against Indy keeping him.  They tend to get value for guys who might leave.  The odds give us some idea of the competition and what they might offer.  Does Indy want to trade him in conference?  What does Miami give up?  Or do they just wait until 2021?  Boston?  It that a Hayward based deal (which requires other Indy salary being added).

In terms of Dallas, I suspect they would ask for Maxi...a good fit next to Sabonis if Turner is traded elsewhere.  We'd have to fill in with some additional salary (Wright or Curry) and our pick?  Getting him (and his Bird rights) a year early would be a Dallas move.  Dipo's agent also represents DJjr BTW, so a larger offer for him might grease the wheels a bit in terms of Dipo staying in 2021. 

Bottom line, expect to give up something you don't want to (Maxi) to get Dipo.  If he doesn't work out, you've removed some salary from the 2021 cap, so actually not that bad even if it doesn't work.  But, if it does work and you get something close to an 18/5/5 guy who hits his 3's and has a TS% above .560 and plays plus D, you've really made a nice add.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & Free Agency (Nov 20?) + Salary Chart - by DanSchwartzgan - 10-03-2020, 07:21 AM