Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
I think maybe the miscommunication is around the term "ball-handler." I don't mean this as a synonym for "point guard." Kemba IS a point guard, but I don't think that's why they wanted him. Jason Tatum (just an example from the same team) is NOT a point guard, but he absolutely is a ball-handler. While I agree that it wasn't Kemba's "point guard" ability that necessarily attracted the Mavs (I think that's your point, Jay) it absolutely was his ability to not only catch and shoot, but drive and pass off the drive that interested them.

To stick with the Celtics, EVERYONE in their starting lineup is a ball-handler except for Theis. This is not an accident, it's by design. I would argue that Smart isn't nearly as competent with this as he thinks he is, but he CAN change direction on his drive and pass off of the dribble. 

EVERYONE in the Heat starting lineup is a ball-handler except for Crowder (who is probably better at it than DFS, for example) and Robinson. Herro comes off the bench there, and is better with the ball than anyone on the Mavericks not named Luka. 

The Lakers have Lebron, Davis and Rondo (who is playing maybe the best offensive basketball I've ever seen him play right now). Caruso is allowed to make decisions and create, to varying degrees of success. 

The Nuggets have Murray, Jokic (who might be better at it than Murray). Grant and Milsap both have their moments. 

On and on and on. You can do this for every team who made the second round. The Mavs have NO chance to beat these teams in a 7 game series when everyone in the arena knows that Luka will have the ball on every play, and where he's going with it.

(10-01-2020, 12:02 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: So @KL when I see ball-handler I think more like a guard. I think the Mavs would be perfectly happy with a star wing but I take your point that most stars are playmakers. Mavs were big on Khris Middleton who is an all-star player who can make plays but isn't a high usage Kemba type ball-handling guard. He can do a lot of off-ball stuff, defend and make plays when called upon.

I guess I was interpreting people's comments as needing a guard who handles the ball a lot and so that's where my opinion differs.

The other thing is I don't want to draw too many conclusions from games in the Mavs/Clippers series where KP wasn't playing. Mavs played the Clippers in 6 games and KP was played in 3 of those games. Trying to glean too much from the other 3 games to me is difficult. We obviously are not going anywhere without our 2 best players so in terms of how guys were used where I don't put a lot of stock in the final 3 games.

We were typing at the same time, sorry. 

Middleton absolutely fits the bill. Now we're speaking the same language. I do think Carlisle LIKES to have two guards who can do this, but I don't think it's set in stone. 

KP's mere presence on the court is so scary for the defense that there ends up being a gravitational pull, which makes things easier for everyone else, especially Luka. I agree this helps, and could even make someone who's only 'ok' at pressuring the defense with the ball seem better. I would think this helps guys like Curry and DFS look better as drivers, for example. But, I do not believe they've figured out how to weaponize KP as an initiator of offense yet. I really hope they can. They SHOULD be able to.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & Free Agency (Nov 20?) + Salary Chart - by KillerLeft - 10-01-2020, 12:20 PM