Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(09-30-2020, 05:38 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote:
(09-30-2020, 05:30 PM)cow Wrote:
(09-30-2020, 02:45 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Luka plays 33 mpg. JJB's numbers fluctuated but was somewhere around 20 mpg. If Brunson gets Wright's minutes he will probably be around that. I think the small amount of overlap isn't that significant. I also like that Brunson does (I think) a great job stepping in for Luka when he twists his ankle 4 times a year. That also has a lot of value. To recap, Brunson has potential to take JJB's role as the leader of the 2nd unit, is a solid stand-in for Luka when he misses games and oh ya is on basically a vet min salary.

People think Brunson is going to get you 8 spots higher in the draft, but honestly I think a team would look at him like the Mavs looked at Justin Jackson last year. They would say hey nice young prospect that we might pay a small sum for if we have a need. I can't imagine any team giving you something that is better than what you already have in JB.

I don't think anyone has said Brunson gets you 8 spots higher.  I projected 5-6 spots with Burnson + 31.  Teams in that range:

#11 Spurs - 11, 41
#12 Kings - 12, 35, 43, 52
#13 Pelicans - 13, 39, 42, 60
#14 Celtics - 14, 26, 30, 47

I could see 12-14 all trading up our out of this draft for future considerations, especially the Celtics.
In all honesty, I'm not interested if all we can get for Brunson and our 2 picks is 5-6 spots in the draft. There was already discussion with Dan that said 18 and 31 is worth something like that anyway. With JB, we'd have to get into the top 8-10 for it to be worth it for us to trade him IMO. Also, even then, I'm not sure I want to trade a good player and 2 picks for 1 pick that may be really good.

My 5-6 is conservative but we need to look at this differently.  We made that trade for 3 with Atlanta because Luka fell to that spot and he was our guy.  If the Mavs have someone they love and is at a spot with a trade partner, pull the trigger.  I don't really care if that is #9 or #15.  The real question is, do the MBT really love anyone realistically obtainable in this draft?

True, all draft picks are lottery tickets.  You know what you have in Brunson and you know his limitations.  He was pretty easily replaced by Burke off the scrap heap so I wouldn't treat Brunson as too precious.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & Free Agency (Nov 20?) + Salary Chart - by cow - 09-30-2020, 07:43 PM