Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
So KL the thing is even if Brunson is not the end-all, be-all guard he's great value for the Mavs. His production, fit, attitude, everything else for a tiny contract is great for the Mavs. To build a great team you need some bargains on your bench over-producing.

Now does that mean some other team wants to give us great value for JB in a trade? I don't think so. Even if he's viewed as a good player there's no guarantee he fits as well on another team. 

So my point is just it's very unlikely we would get great ROI in a JB trade. Looking at trade ideas where we are moving up in the draft (which the Mavs don't like to do anyway?) or blockbusters where we get Jrue Holiday or something just aren't realistic to me. JB would be at best a small piece and at worst a throw-in so why include him at all.

(09-30-2020, 03:32 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: This is why I'm higher on Burke than many here seem to be. IF what he did against the Clippers is a real indication of what he'll do consistently, moving forward, I think that's more valuable than either Brunson or Curry. I don't dislike either of those players.

I like Burke but its still a small sample size. The issue with Burke of course is that he's not under contract so we don't know how much he will cost to retain. Mavs are hesitant to spend future dollars and JB is already under contract so if the asking price is too high Mavs might just stick with what they got.

If the asking price is not high then why not just have all of Burke, JB, Curry? Rick certainly won't mind and if it makes one of the 3 expendable eventually no problem there. Guys get injured and Rick loves guards so the more the merrier. 

In terms of playoff performance super-small sample size in a really weird environment. We know Burke & JB both played in well college playoffs. JB was hurt this year and Burke played in a bubble that may be one and done. The bubble is its own experience, I think some guys played great in the bubble that would have a hard time with playoff pressure outside of the bubble. All that to say again very small sample size and I don't know that it's enough to say yes Burke is better than JB.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & Free Agency (Nov 20?) + Salary Chart - by StepBackJay - 09-30-2020, 04:13 PM