Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(09-30-2020, 12:49 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I don't see why we would spend a mountain of assets to move up in this shallow draft. The only consensus about this draft is that there really isn't that much of a difference 1-15 and most prospects aren't NBA ready.

Obviously some look better than others, but overall every single top 10 prospect in this draft would barely crack the lottery of past drafts (17,18,19 to name a few).

Mavs should only be moving 18+31 if it nets them a day 1 rotation piece that can start. Anything else would be a HUGE gamble on a shaky prospect coming and being ready to play a heavy role on a playoff team.

I would disagree with your characterization of the draft. It's weak at the top, but has several guys who will be good players.

(09-30-2020, 02:45 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Luka plays 33 mpg. JJB's numbers fluctuated but was somewhere around 20 mpg. If Brunson gets Wright's minutes he will probably be around that. I think the small amount of overlap isn't that significant. I also like that Brunson does (I think) a great job stepping in for Luka when he twists his ankle 4 times a year. That also has a lot of value. To recap, Brunson has potential to take JJB's role as the leader of the 2nd unit, is a solid stand-in for Luka when he misses games and oh ya is on basically a vet min salary.

People think Brunson is going to get you 8 spots higher in the draft, but honestly I think a team would look at him like the Mavs looked at Justin Jackson last year. They would say hey nice young prospect that we might pay a small sum for if we have a need. I can't imagine any team giving you something that is better than what you already have in JB.

I have to say, you're making some good points here. I just strongly believe that the Mavs need that second option guy at the two, and that it's not THJ (not good enough at creating his own shot and playmaking, and pretty bad defensively) and it's not Brunson. If we get that guy, I believe he'll more or less obviate Brunson's role. That said, Brunson might still have some value for (as you said) Luka's ankle injuries and as an additional backup point at a very cheap price. As I have said, I only trade Brunson - our best trade chip - if he brings back something good. Our biggest disagreement is on his value to other teams. Curry and Maxi do probably have more value to other teams, but I would only trade Curry if his role on the team was replaced/upgraded and would only trade Maxi for an above average NBA starter (which is to say, definitely one of the best 100 players in the league) due his value and role for the Mavs.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & Free Agency (Nov 20?) + Salary Chart - by Scott41theMavs - 09-30-2020, 03:02 PM