Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
At his level of offensive skill, I feel like a Dirkesque high post game where he has the option to shoot, drive or pass is appropriate, but the fact that we haven't really seen it leads me to believe Carlisle doesn't trust him in that role. Not yet, at least. 

Once something like that is in place, I think you just figure out how to mitigate the foot speed on defense as best you can, because at that point you really would have two superstars.

(09-28-2020, 08:46 PM)Branduil Wrote: Is there a big in the league who can guard Lillard?

Is there a non-big for that matter?

No, but there are a ton who can do better than giving him his CHOICE between a straight line drive to the basket or a wide open pull up jumper on several, consecutive plays. 

Frankly, every team who made the 2nd round had at least one of them. Kleber and Powell are BOTH better in that situation, tbh.

I just did a quick google search to see if there was video of the game I'm talking about, and I found an entire article about it. I hadn't seen this before, but here's everything I'm talking about, described well. The third video example down is the segment of the game I remembered. 4-5 plays in a row, all on the left side of the floor. It was BAD. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/how-d...azers-win/

I've been saying it since I found this place, and nobody is listening:

The new "stud defensive center" is the guy who can pressure on the pick and roll and not get blown by. This is much more important than "rim protection" or at least what fans mean when they use that phrase. 

Bam and Giannis can do this at 7', but if you have to play a 6'9" guy to combat this, you're better off than you are with Gobert, imho. 

Maybe this was just a really bad night for KP, but if it becomes a recurring problem I think the Mavs' defensive struggles are just beginning.

BTW, how Mike Malone couldn't figure out how to punish Vogel for playing Howard in the Western finals the way that Portland punished Carlisle for playing Porzingis in that game is beyond me. Even at his age, Howard is probably better in those situations than KP, but he's also DUMB. A good coach would've exploited that and gotten that goon glued to the bench instead of on the court thugg life-ing Jokic.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & Free Agency (Nov 20?) + Salary Chart - by KillerLeft - 09-28-2020, 08:49 PM