Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
I don't want to go on a list of KP haters, because I love the dude and I'm extremely happy the Mavs were able to get him. Part of me thinks he's a perfect fit with Luka.

But, I'm concerned by a couple of things:

1) Unlike Bam and Jokic, he doesn't really help to RUN the offense. Given that he has been maxed, I think this puts the team in a strained situation with their roster building. His ability to score off of the catch gives him an unbelievably strong gravitational pull, making the geometry easier for Luka and other drivers. But, I'd feel so much better if we had seen evidence by now that he has some sort of high post iso game from which he could generate shots for himself and others. I'm not saying he can't do this, just that we haven't seen much evidence of it to this point. I hope Carlisle is thinking of ways to get him involved in the offense to that extent right now, and if they can do that, I'll feel a lot better.

2) I'm VERY concerned about his defense. I think he can be a great rim protector, but that bubble game against Portland really opened my eyes. They kept isolating him with the side pick and roll with only the two offensive players (Lillard and whoever KP was guarding) on that side of the floor. KP was in the tightest drop coverage, which really didn't even take the jump shot away from Lillard, and Dame STILL blew past him like he was a statue about 4 times in a row. The injuries aren't going to help with this, and I think he'll get slower and slower as the years go by. 

I am NOT saying that I want him gone, or have decided he doesn't have a chance to be a huge plus. I'm just concerned.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & Free Agency (Nov 20?) + Salary Chart - by KillerLeft - 09-28-2020, 08:41 PM