Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(09-28-2020, 03:22 PM)Tyler Wrote: I do. Personally I think he's at least as good of a fit on the court as either Kleber or Powell with KP. The spacing, rebounding, and defense between KP and Turner would be excellent. And Carlisle has raved enough about Turner whenever they play Indy that I'm confident he'd find a way to maximize his skills.

But reasonable people can disagree. What don't you like about it?

Can they play together on offense? YES, and it probably is an upgrade from either DP or Kleber, since he does at least pretty well at what both of them do really well, only in the package of one person. Having said that, I think you'd have two high dollar players who kind of cancel each other out a little. There's synergy there, but neither of them can really create offense the way Jokic and Bam do. This is something that worries me about the fit with KP already, but to play he and Turner together is pointless, imo. No matter what you do with that, you're still 100% dependent on Luka, with one of them involved while the other one is relegated to "celebrity spacer" status. I'm of the opinion that the next offensive acquisition needs to be someone who can help by STARTING plays, not only FINISHING them. They also need to be an off-ball fit with Luka, of course.

Can they play together on defense? NO. It's great to be able to play two bigs, but if your salary structure dictates that you MUST, I think you're setting yourself up for major pain in the modern NBA. I think KP is likely to be the slowest guy on the court in about 60% of their games next year. You counteract that quite a bit with his size if you scheme correctly, but to play TWO centers at once seems INSANE to me. 

I think the front court piece you need is RoCo, Grant...someone 6'7"-6'9" who is bigger than DFS but still an appropriate matchup for guys like Kawhi, Lebron, etc. My 2nd choice would be someone 6'4"-6'8" who closely resembles a young Trevor Ariza or Danny Green who would then push DFS into the larger forward role. 

Kleber is GOLD because he's a two way guy who can be the first "swiss army" big off of the bench. He can play small ball 5 when KP gets pick and rolled off of the floor, OR he can play NEXT to KP. Turner could obviously do that, too, but at his status and pay range, neither he or the team would be happy with him in that role. 

Again, love the player, and Carlisle has spoken highly of him in the past. I could actually be talked into a deal that replaces KP with Turner, if there was enough coming to Dallas.

(09-28-2020, 04:03 PM)Kammrath Wrote:
(09-28-2020, 02:15 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: he wasn't all that good this year

Not true.

He was ABSOLUTELY....

[Image: giphy.gif]

Right, and would anyone like to guess what I've heard today (from multiple Pacers fans) as a justification for his trouble fitting into the team this year? 

"With Brogdon on the team now, he had to play off ball way too much. It wasn't a fit for his game." 

Does that sound like the guy who would be ideal next to Luka? I mean, I WANT a guy who can play on ball, because I think they need it, but the ideal guy has to be willing to do BOTH. If Oladipo is convinced that his way back to relevance is to go full Donovan Mitchell, do we want him here?
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & Free Agency (Nov 20?) + Salary Chart - by KillerLeft - 09-28-2020, 04:29 PM