Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(09-28-2020, 11:45 AM)KillerLeft Wrote:
(09-28-2020, 11:40 AM)StepBackJay Wrote: 31 could get you a really nice wing prospect with a team-friendly contract so I would not give that away for a project like Frank.

Just to play Devil's advocate, Brunson was the 33rd pick, and I wouldn't trade him for Frank N, to be clear. But, I think if the team picked at #31 ten years in a row, they'd be lucky if two of those picks were as successful as Brunson. And, even in a successful version of this outcome, you're probably looking at guy who's every bit the "project" Frank N is, only Frank N is a few years down the developmental path already.

The other thing is even though he's an RFA I'd rather get Frank on a team-friendly deal from the get-go so that we can reap the benefits when uncle Ricky fixes his game. The MBT has learned from their history of these 1-year make-good deals like Aminu where the guy bolts the next year after Rick makes him good. Get Frank on some cheap 3 year deal with TO's in 2021. At that point I am on board.

For #31 I just like the value there a lot. The weakness of Donnie is being able to project improvement from raw prospects (altho Cubes claims Donnie wanted Giannis when he was drafted). Donnie does a lot better evaluating a) active NBA players and b) more experienced collegiate players. I could see us drafting another 2-3 year collegiate starter with relatively low upside in terms of star power, but someone who has the potential to immediately contribute. If that player busts you can get rid of them pretty easily.

While I do like the Mavs filling their bench with a lot of vets, its hard to have all 16 be vets so there is definitely a spot in my mind for a rookie who gives you 3D potential.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & Free Agency (Nov 20?) + Salary Chart - by StepBackJay - 09-28-2020, 11:52 AM