Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(09-28-2020, 06:51 AM)omahen Wrote: But then - why would Clippers trade 6th man of the year for a PG that couldn't break rotation against Clippers and doesn't save them any money? Doesn't make much more sense to resign Harrell at that money and sign a PG of Wright (or better) quality for MLE?

Sure -- it would probably be more desirable to the Clippers to keep Harrell. But it's not in their control. He's an unrestricted FA, and let's not forget he openly feuded with Paul George in the playoffs and (likely) was the guy leaking negative stories about locker room conversations after they were eliminated. I get the vibe he wants out. And at that point, a capped-out team like the Clippers has to choose between replacing him with a minimum wage guy or taking someone else in a S&T.

For example, I could see a situation where Dallas offers Harrell the full MLE and a starting job, believing that they can unload Wright's salary to a 3rd team if necessary to keep the trade mostly '21-neutral. If he were to accept, Dallas would then approach the Clippers and say "Trez is ours. Do you want Wright? If so, let's do a S&T to get Harrell a little more money. If not, we'll trade Wright elsewhere and you can scour the minimum wage bin". Then it's up to the Clippers -- but keeping their own guy is no longer an option. 

Of course, Harrell may get more than the MLE from another team with cap space and they could then take a similar approach with LA. The main point is not that I think Dallas is getting Harrell, but that the Clippers may not be in the prime position to keep him that people seem to assume.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & Free Agency (Nov 20?) + Salary Chart - by Tyler - 09-28-2020, 10:10 AM