Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(09-27-2020, 07:37 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: If the question is "which guy would you rather pay $16 million" I'd go with Grant. I definitely don't like Harrell for that money. I kind of don't like Grant at that price, either, because it just feels like you're painting yourself into a corner, and while I like the player and the style of play implications (for the team) that come with him, I feel like he'd have to take another step forward to live up to that contract, and I can't swear that he will. He might, but might not. 

Still, Grant WILL get that deal from Denver or someone else, and I don't know that it's clear what Harrell gets yet, so: 

I don't want to be accused of flip-flopping, but IF Harrell is around MLE money, and IF Wright is outgoing in the deal, and IF there are no picks outgoing, and IF they have another way to dump Powell (whose job would be gone, I assume) then I could be talked into the Harrell option, as it leaves you with more flexibility and you probably don't have to start Harrell every night unless you want to.

Crazy times.

Welcome to the dark side (you flip flopper Wink ).

I don't think the "who would you rather pay $16mm" question is the right question.  For me the answer is neither.  I think both are going to get a little north of the MLE, but at $16mm you are getting close to doubling it.  But with Harrell, there is at least a perception of a need for Wright in LA and a quote from a commentator who believes he's a fit.  As I said before, I found another LAC based article that mentioned WCS as a target.  When you combine Wright and WCS, $16mm is the max Harrell could sign for.  It doesn't mean that is what he'll get.  With Denver there is no thought they would take what we're selling in exchange for Grant.

To put your mind at ease, I don't see how picks can be included in a Harrell deal.  He's totally free and Dallas isn't going to draft for LAC on the hope Harrell signs here (we've seen a Clipper FA, whats the word I'm looking for...flip flop...on us before after agreeing to come here). 

I'm probably not going to put your mind at ease regarding Powell.  He has no trade value right now.  A year from now?  Maybe...Hopefully.  We have no idea what he will be able to do upon his return.  The best way to ease him back is as a bench player...the fourth big behind KP, Harrell and Maxi (who thankfully can play next to either KP or Harrell).  Powell's $11mm is dead money this year.  Realistically, who cares.  We don't have cap room in 2020 anyway and we aren't close to the LT.  Harrell's money has nothing to do with Powell's.  But if Powell isn't 100% yet, the position is a position of need.  KP won't play 82 games (bold prediction).  Boban is fun and all, but he isn't an every night solution and you can't go into the season with Maxi as your only viable big on certain nights (we saw that movie in the playoffs).  There is an argument to be made that you could find someone half as good as Harrell for 1/8th the price (in fact you have that now with WCS).  But did that get Wright off the roster too?  I'm really surprised on a board that so thoroughly hates both Powell and Wright that a solution that pushes Powell back on the depth chart and removes Wright completely (and preserves draft picks and the MLE) isn't more heartily embraced.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & Free Agency (Nov 20?) + Salary Chart - by DanSchwartzgan - 09-28-2020, 06:25 AM