Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(09-27-2020, 10:44 AM)KillerLeft Wrote:
(09-27-2020, 10:02 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: So, you are softening up a little.  Hmmm.  OK, try this...  Watch especially the sections where he's playing in the summer and the parts where they talk about him working on his game.  There is more to his O than we presume.  He also comes across as much more of a success story than the "white boy" incident would have us believe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DTyLdS-Ea4

So this video is a well made piece of propaganda about how this gritty underdog made it to the NBA and has carved himself out a niche by working harder than everyone else, never giving up, and basically refusing to lose. If that's who he is, great. 

But, in the playoffs against the Mavericks, he seemed to me to be the least prepared player on either team, physically. I came away from the series thinking he was pretty lazy and had let his team down. I couldn't believe Rivers kept playing him. 

If he ends up being the player from the video, the guy who won 6th man of the year, I will probably like it. I agree with the Amick thinking about how his game fits. I had my heart set on a guy who's MORE athletic than DFS and KP, not less, but I can't deny that there's some potential synergy there, and while I think the "we need an enforcer" angle is WAY overblown, he would bring an edge to the team that could be a positive IF he is the high energy guy they're making him out to be. 

If what the Mavs are looking for is a second big who can try to pretend to play wing, and not a second wing who can pretend to play big (which is what I'd be looking for next to KP) then this might make some sense for them, though in THAT set of circumstances, I'd actually prefer someone like @"Kammrath"'s favorite prospect, Tyler Bey. Since I haven't been watching the draft thread with this type of player in mind, I suspect that I've overlooked some other prospects more appropriate at #18 who could give you what you'd get from Harrell, too.

We still don't even know whether the Mavs really like this guy, tbh, but IF these rumors are true, it seems pretty clear that DP's job is on the chopping block, because this dude would absolutely be taking it. My thinking has always been that they need a slightly longer, tougher version of DFS to play WITH DFS and KP in the front court, and that their second big, be it Powell or WCS or whomever, would come off of the bench to basically only play the 5. You'd still have Kleber on the bench, too, so you'd have options to play very big, but that Powell/WCS dude wouldn't have to be a highly paid player. 

If THIS is an option they like, it means they want to start the game with TWO BIGS, and that changes everything, imo. It means I'll have to rethink a lot of things.
Isaiah Stewart looks like he would probably be that guy, I like him too at #31.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & Free Agency (Nov 20?) + Salary Chart - by ItsGoTime - 09-27-2020, 10:58 AM