Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(09-26-2020, 08:25 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Harrell can't start in this league, 

We have enough bench players making starter-like money.

I don't agree with number one.  I do agree that if you are going to pay him $15-$16 million, it is because you envision him starting.

I think there are challenges to having him guard the perimeter.  Those same challenges exist at C also.  If a team wants to ISO you they are going to do it.  But next to KP, you at least have a rim protector backing him up.  I'm less worried about the one on one matchups with most PF's.  Many are catch and shoot types.  He's certainly a better option than Powell in terms of guarding the bigger guys like A. Davis.  No one really guards Lebron or Leonard, but Harrell competes hard.

But, imagine the Offense.  Harrell would be un-guardable with all the space he'd have here.  He has a fantastic PnR and cut game, but can also post up or even face his man up and take him off the dribble.  He also has a decent floater game.  Imagine all the good things Powell does off cuts and in PnR and then add a TON to that.  The team has said it would like another 15 ppg scorer.  This would provide it.

I know I'm killing Killer here, but this is one of those deals I can actually see happening.  I've been reading some Clipper stories and there is a feeling they won't be able to afford Harrell.  WCS is mentioned as an inexpensive replacement and their biggest need is a playmaking guard (starter or bench).  Wright/WCS for Harrell is actually something I could see happening.  And it doesn't cost any draft picks.  And what if Milwaukee decides it needs to get some return for Giannis at the TDL rather than waiting until the summer.  Milwaukee is another place (because of Lopez) where you could start Harrell and he's a big enough name that you could sell Bucks fans.  Harrell plus THJ?  I'll get sold on 50 different plans over the course of the off season.  I'm not willing to dismiss this based on how he was used elsewhere.  Yes, he has some holes, but the value of possibly getting him for peanuts is hard to ignore.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & Free Agency (Nov 20?) + Salary Chart - by DanSchwartzgan - 09-27-2020, 02:11 AM