Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(09-24-2020, 09:40 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote:
(09-24-2020, 09:37 PM)Kammrath Wrote:
(09-24-2020, 09:30 PM)fifteenth Wrote: post 2011 plan powder was an abomination of a team building strategy

My other big argument with you and others was that I fiercely defended the Odom acquisition and the release of Tyson (based on the salary he was asking). 

I am still fine that the Mavs went "plan powder" as I do believe they had promises (or leads) from Deron and Dwight's agents. 

Just because you fail at something doesn't always mean it is "wrong." I still defend the logic of those decisions based on the AVAILABLE knowledge at the time. I do NOT defend not trading Marion. The evidence at the time said it was time to move him along.

Bad predictions or misjudging a player. I think most of us had similar bad takes.
I was pro Rondo trade. Really thought he was the missing piece for one last run with Dirk.

Let's just get this right from this point forward - it was the Powell trade!

(09-24-2020, 10:04 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Does @"DanSchwartzman" or anyone else remember:

Can the Mavs do a sign and trade this offseason or are they hard capped and unable to do that?

I was just wondering if those Jerami Grant fans might be able to get him that way if you could send DEN a friendly contract or so that helps fill his void for them.

They are hard capped until the end of the 19-20 cycle but any Sign and Trade will have to be after that point. However, a S&T to acquire a player is one of the triggers to a hard cap. My recollection is that the Porzingas extension + Wright S&T were the triggers for the 19-20 HC.

The problem with the hard cap is that it takes Dallas out of the primary market on players under contract when they have draft capital. Waiting until after the draft for the Hard Cap to lift means Dallas is looking at having to make a deal with nothing but the '25 pick as the primary sweetener.

In my estimation Dallas can only make a significant money move if they have an arrangement with a team to do a deal IF a player they like is still on the board and they are willingly patient in consumating that deal AFTER the 2020 equivalent of July 1st.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & Free Agency (Nov 20?) + Salary Chart - by SkenfromLMF - 09-25-2020, 12:15 AM