Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(09-24-2020, 11:59 AM)StepBackJay Wrote:
(09-24-2020, 11:51 AM)Jason Terry Wrote: TJ Warren and Grant available last year for nearly free. Not worried about us coming up with something acceptable on the cheap(18, MLE)

Suns gave up a pick to trade TJ away. Grant is a shame but the Mavs couldn't trade their pick at that time (not sure whether they had interest?) bc they can't do back-to-back pick trades. The challenge is that the Mavs want a very good player but also one that doesn't eat into 2021 space. I am not sure who qualifies once you get past the sexy names like Jrue & Oladipo who are likely out of the Mavs price range. #18 gets you into the Oubre, Schroeder tier of trade targets.

Ok, so this is an important point of divergence, and the source of a lot of arguments here, I think.

I'm with you, and buy your logic completely, BUT I think Holiday and Oladipo are two examples of trades that, if available, would make you say "f our 2021 cap space." I don't know if the Mavs would agree, but I DO think there are targets other than Giannis that they're looking at, and I do think they'll pull the trigger if one comes available. 

If what's available is all Oubre level, I agree - pick one that doesn't kill your space. 

I think people opposed read comments like yours and just see "plan powder" which was a Fish invention, and described something totally different than what they're doing now. I would never, ever use that term to describe what I would be trying to accomplish right now if I were them. 

It's not "what's the best thing I can do while ensuring I have space in 2021," it's "what's the best thing I can do, and IF I think it's as good or better than having space in 2021, I do it. If not, I don't." 

For me, I think Jrue Holiday or Oladipo are options you consider really carefully if they're actually available to you.

(09-24-2020, 12:12 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: I'd be very happy with Schroder, but can't see OKC giving him up cheap. Presti... (shudder)

I don't know about "cheap" but I think it's very likely he moves. I think OKC is about to be a fire sale. Seems like they're about to hit the rebuild button, finally, and the last thing you want on a young team is for your best player (assuming they can move Chris Paul) to be a guy with character issues. Plus, you know the guy will sign with a team that's not rebuilding next year when his contract expires, so I think he'd prefer to get something for him now, especially since Schroder just had a career year. 

I'd also expect Adams to be traded for sure, and we might see a sign and trade for Gallo. 

If they can't find a home for Chris Paul's contract and they HAVE to bring him back, I suppose it's possible that they try to make the playoffs again, but the coach leaving has to signal that this is not their hope, I'd think. 

Assuming that the Schroder issues aren't prohibitive, he could be a lot of what we've been screaming for around here. He helps you defensively, for sure, and I think he gives you at least some of what you got from Burke in the playoffs. Part of me thinks the Mavs won't touch him with a 10 foot pole, and part of me thinks we should almost expect him to be a Mav. Sports are fun.

@"Hypermav" I just recently discovered Christian Wood. That dude would look sooooooo good in the Powell role here. I think he's gonna get PAID in Detroit though.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & Free Agency (Nov 20?) + Salary Chart - by KillerLeft - 09-24-2020, 12:25 PM