Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(09-23-2020, 11:47 AM)fifteenth Wrote:
(09-23-2020, 11:42 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: You're kidding right? The very fact that most, if not all, teams in the league didn't know KP was available before he was traded isn't an indication of the unbelievable opportunity falling in their laps?

Maybe you and I are working with different definitions of "falling in their laps" in mind. 

I think the Mavs did a lot of work to make that trade happen, and the fact that other teams didn't know KP was available is at least partially attributable to how the Mavs pounced. I think of "falling in their laps" as not having to do much and just getting lucky. 

I think the Mavs stayed alert, did their homework, saw an opporunity, and worked smart and hard to grab the prize quickly. In my mind, that's not something "falling in their laps".

I think you're both right. There was some luck involved, no question about that, but it's also clear that there had been discussions between the teams about KP for quite a while, dating back to the rumors about Phil Jackson wanting to deal him, probably. 

I think to suggest it's all luck sells the Mavs short, but I think there's an element of luck involved with any great deal that any team makes. The Mavs were lucky more teams didn't see Dirk's Nike Hoops Summit Game (or whatever it was), but that doesn't change the fact they correctly identified him as someone worth drafting that highly.

Luck is good. I will take it, and I hope more of it is coming.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & Free Agency (Nov 20?) + Salary Chart - by KillerLeft - 09-23-2020, 11:55 AM