Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(09-22-2020, 03:49 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I don't even remember anything about Warren - can you catch me up?

PHX essentially gave Warren up for relatively nothing. They traded him to Indiana for the 32nd pick in the draft and cash considerations. That was it. 

Many were wondering why the Mavs didn't take a flyer on a big scoring wing with some defensive qualities, even if he wasn't the best locker room presence in PHX and didn't have a 3pt shot. 

Price was super low. But I feel what get's lost in translation is that the Mavs would've had to have beaten the IND deal. While it wouldn't have been difficult, the Mavs had spent a lot of their trade capital on KP. They had the 37th pick in the draft, 5 spots lower than IND. They would've had to have sent either a future pick (something we're quite light on), or a young player on the roster. Both routes would've have been a hard committal to Warren (with his 4 year 47 mil contract) and would have ruined their FA plans. 

Hindsight is 20/20. If the Mavs had known that Boston would let go of Al Horford and magically become suitors in the Kemba race, and that Green would've strung us along, they probably would've made the trade happen. But of course the Mavs didn't know that. They couldn't have. And they felt going in that Kemba was a good chance and didn't want to give it up for TJ Warren.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & Free Agency (Nov 20?) + Salary Chart - by SleepingHero - 09-22-2020, 04:11 PM