Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(09-22-2020, 03:30 PM)KillerLeft Wrote:
(09-22-2020, 03:18 PM)omahen Wrote:
(09-22-2020, 02:55 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: IF the Mavs don't think any available targets are WORTH the MLE, then I'd be ok with them not using it. I'd much prefer that right now over a bunch of dumb spending.

Sure thing. But the question is - does this make our FO look good or bad? Good because they (mostly) didn't sign bad contracts? Or bad because they don't find the good deals, which is what happened in the 2019 offseason and 2020 TDL. But since we have already been there, let me rather ask you this way:

Is 2020 offseason with Mavs not signing any contracts of significance a good or bad offseason?

I get the point you're making, and agree with it. But...what if they identify the smart signings, but those guys would prefer other situations? 

Here's my off-season ranking:

1) Contracts of significance given to players who deserve them, significantly improving the team. (praise heaped by me)
2) some small, smart moves, but nothing of significance (still pretty happy, because the chess match isn't over yet)
3) almost no roster movement outside of the obvious (I'm not thrilled, but reserve judgement, because they might have good reasons)
4) Full MLE to Milsap and a trade for Tobias Harris (these are just bad examples, but at this point I'm part of the mob that's burning down the AAC). 

I get what you're saying, though. Making trades, drafting players and signing players is kind of like taking shots in the last five minutes of the game. Every team has to do it, and you have no choice but to judge them on whether those shots go in. I just think that in this rare set of circumstances, the Mavs have one year, maaaaaybe two, where they'll improve by doing very little. You try to accelerate things, of course, but not at the risk of ruining this. It's just my opinion.

(09-22-2020, 03:22 PM)Jason Terry Wrote: KP can score around the rim in transition and pick and roll in a way dirk never could. He will never be the shooter or presence of dirk. KP is a much better paint defender than dirk and dominated. His big blocks for sure create offense and move team momentum. Again the question until he proves us wrong is health not ability. No player his size has ever played 1000 games

Yeah, again, I don't disagree with any of that. Well, not much of it, anyway. I actually would argue that he's on his way to being every bit the shooter Dirk was, that he's LESS deadly in transition, and that Dirk was one of the best pick and roll screener scorers of all time (this includes the pick and pop, btw). 

But that isn't what I asked you. 

I'm saying in the last 5 minutes of a tight game, against a great team, do you see KP being the type of player who can initiate offense for himself and others? Can he CREATE offense?

When Dirk added that high post iso skillset to his game, he went to another level. I just don't see something like that with KP. Maybe he can develop something over the next couple of years.
I guess i just don’t think KP will be asked to do much creating last 5 min. I want the ball in Luka’s hands the whole time. KP just being able to space the floor and shoot 3s is enough for me. What he contributes defensively is Chandler-like and where his focus should be last 5 min
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & Free Agency (Nov 20?) + Salary Chart - by Jason Terry - 09-22-2020, 04:05 PM