Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(09-22-2020, 02:39 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote:
(09-22-2020, 06:40 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: As I've said before. There are three potential paths. 1. Plan Powder. 2. Plan Have it Both Ways and 3. Plan Go for it now (and Powder be damned).

I think that´s exactly how the MBT thinks but I disagree. You don´t need to have expiring contracts or capspace in 2021 to sign a max player. Are the Mavs afraid of a potential bad signing that is difficult to move next year? If that´s the case they are admiting a lack of trust in their own abilities.
That approach has been one of the main reasons (combined with a lack of interest in draft picks) why the Mavs suffered from a lack of assets in post championship era.

The thing is, in the past, the Mavs had to overpay bad players to come here - Parsons, Wes, Barnes, DeAndre. Now they have a player who is a draw. They have generally shown more discipline the last year or two, with Powell and Wright being their missteps, but even those guys have contracts that are tiny in comparison to Parsons, Wes, and Barnes. Sign the *right* guy with your MLE, and he's easily moveable if needed - as are Maxi, Curry, and DFS (although I would prefer not to move those guys).

Probably the only real way to #3 anyway is if they were to trade for CP3, or stupidly take on Horford or something like that. Most of those bad contracts are bad because the players aren't that hot, so it's hard to see, except arguably in the CP3 case, why we would do that, unless an amazing asset was coming with the bad contract. It might be good for us to assemble, for reference, the Tiny List of Players on Beyond-21 Bad Contracts Whom the Mavs Should Avoid in Trade. Bar that, I'm with you, basically. Plan Riley.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & Free Agency (Nov 20?) + Salary Chart - by Scott41theMavs - 09-22-2020, 02:47 PM