Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(09-22-2020, 02:27 PM)Jason Terry Wrote: “Playmaker” and what people are asking for is a secondary ball handler when Luka is off the floor? Brunson did it at the highest level when he was on the court. Burke, a guy we got off waivers from a playoff team, filked that role just fine. Carlisle has turned OJ Mayo into that. He’s turned Delonte West into that. He could even make Dennis Smith Jr into that. We can find that. What we always lacked was PRIMARY PLAYMAKER. We have that with luka. Kidd passed for that role. Haven’t truly had it since Nash

Totally and completely agree with the emboldened statement. They have done the hard part, no doubt. 

But I'm not talking about a backup point guard. I'm talking about having MULTIPLE playmakers on the floor SIMULTANEOUSLY.

Good: Dragic AND Butler AND Bam. Murray AND Jokic. Tatum AND Walker AND Brown AND Hayward. 

Bad: Harden AND...  Giannis (almost miscast in the role, to begin with) AND...  

So, it's not about thinking Burke would be better than Brunson at backup PG, because who cares? I agree, Brunson has proven that he's on his way to handling that role just fine. It's about acquiring more well rounded players who can do more different things with their minutes. If Burke was 6''7" I don't think anyone would even be comparing the two players. Unfortunately, neither player is big, so it's naive to think there won't be overlap with their minutes.

Some of this issue goes away if KP is healthy, but I still think you need more decision making on the floor to win it all.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & Free Agency (Nov 20?) + Salary Chart - by KillerLeft - 09-22-2020, 02:36 PM