Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(09-22-2020, 01:18 PM)KillerLeft Wrote:
(09-22-2020, 01:05 PM)Jason Terry Wrote: Let’s not get carried away though since it was just the bubble. Burke should be viewed about the same as Boban- 11th and 12th guys on the team. It’s a long season and they may be needed.

Another vote for "flash in the pan." Very interesting.

For contrast, I post on another board where the consensus is that the worst possible thing the Mavs could do this off season is let Burke get away. 

I don't claim to know for sure, but I'm surprised there isn't more optimism here about him, considering he's the only person on the roster not named Luka even capable of doing what he did in the playoffs. I get the idea that he might never do it again, and that does give me pause, but he DID do things, right in front of our eyes, that THJ, Curry and Brunson cannot do. 

I highly doubt Carlisle envisioned making Burke one of the 4-5 most crucial players on the team when they signed him right before the bubble started. Burke TOOK that role. The way he played in the playoffs is, I think, what they envisioned Kemba Walker giving them. If there's a chance you can get that on a bargain deal, do we really think they pass it up because they're worried about developing BRUNSON?

Like I keep saying, it's really about whether they think he can keep playing that way. Ultimately, I will trust whatever call they make. But, I'm surprised sometimes by the fickle optimism applied by fans. I'm extremely optimistic about Burke, because at the very least, I've seen him take over an NBA playoff game.
I just don’t see how anyone can be so definitive that Burke is better than THj, Curry and Brunson. They “did” it all year and were literally part of the greatest offense in nba history. Burke has been “not doing it” his entire career. I don’t see how it could be so black and white he’s better than them. It’s just recency bias.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & Free Agency (Nov 20?) + Salary Chart - by Jason Terry - 09-22-2020, 01:40 PM