Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
Never forget: this team was ready to push all their chips in for Kemba Walker. They believe they need another playmaking ball handler on this team.

(09-22-2020, 10:54 AM)StepBackJay Wrote: Just knowing Rick he would be completely fine with Burke and Brunson. He can play 2 small guards or 3 guard lineups. I am holding onto my Brunson stock and I expect big things. He is a baller. I hope we can keep Burke but Mavs aren't going to overpay to keep him

Ok, so here's my argument to this: 

I don't believe Carlisle wants to play several SMALL players at once. I think he wants to play several SKILLED players at once. Give him a roster where Barea and Terry aren't 2 of the 3-4 most skilled players, and I don't think guys that size play together nearly as often. 

But yes, you're correct, ultimately. Under the roster conditions you're describing, he'd really have no choice but to play them together at times. What I and others are trying to do is suggest ways to give him better options. If you have the same player Curry is, only in a 6'7" body, this isn't even a worry. But, you don't. 

I, too, am high on Brunson. I, too, think he has a good future. But, it's limited. Will he ever be a starting PG? Probably not. He can add insane value to many teams as a PG off the bench, but I'm not sure he ever becomes the player who can do things we just watched Burke do, in the playoffs, against the Clippers. In other words, losing out on his potential wouldn't be the end of the world, especially since the team is kind of on a more accelerated timeline than his career. 

I'm not on a mission to get rid of Brunson, but here's what should be obvious: IF that is what you can expect from Burke going forward, the two players don't compare. IF that's what you can expect from Burke moving forward, the contract Burke is going to get would NOT being overpaying. 

It's all about whether or not you believe Burke has figured some things out. I don't know the answer to that, but I hope the Mavs do.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & Free Agency (Nov 20?) + Salary Chart - by KillerLeft - 09-22-2020, 10:55 AM