Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(09-22-2020, 07:14 AM)omahen Wrote:
(09-22-2020, 06:40 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: As I've said before.  There are three potential paths.  1.  Plan Powder.  2. Plan Have it Both Ways and 3. Plan Go for it now (and Powder be damned).

If you said with certainty that we are going through door #3, then yes, there are better ways to spend money.  But reclamation projects on expiring contracts are exactly the idea with Door #2.  Frank doesn't have to be a star.  He just has to be close to as good as Wright and make Wright's contract go away in Plan Powder or Plan HIBW's.  Or, as good as Jackson (low bar) and maintain the same cap flexibility.

So, is the issue you have with Frank or with the idea of not going for it now?  I'm not advocating HIBW's.  But, we've spend a good bit of time on Go for it Now plans.  With Giannis sounding somewhat open to change, I thought it was time to think about alternatives. 

Despite the above, going after Frank is far from the only HIBW option. Richardson, Schroeder, Oubre and some vet meh options like Snell or Johsnon are theoretically possible to be had for a combination of Wright, Jackson and picks. And I claim all of these (plus several others) come before Ntilikina for me. If really none of those options work, than I take Frank as consolation prize. 

Idea of Wright as a free agent signing should have worked, but it didn't, as Cato put it nicely in his last piece. I think there is at least same level of uncertainty with Frank. In theory it could work. But will it in reality? I would be disapointed if Franky Smokes and (for example) one year rental of Jamaychal Green would be our only offseason moves. And to add - if Mavs really believed Frank is the right piece, they could have traded for him long ago. It wouldn't cost much.

Just to be clear, Cato didn't say Frank wouldn't work here.  He said he's "baffled" Wright didn't work.  There is risk with every acquisition.  I just read a piece about possible OKC and NYK deals and the OKC writer seemed pretty enamored with the idea of Ntilikina. 

The question regarding your names is one of cost vs. expendibility.  Can you get these guys for the package you are imagining?  I'm imagining Jackson plus #31 for Frank as a comparison.  

I think you can forget about Wright/18 for Richardson.  Philly doesn't need another guard who can't shoot.  THJ?  Curry?  Maybe.  Now, suddenly, this isn't an inexpensive acquisition.

I see absolutely no upside to Snell and Johnson.  But, what is the cost/benefit of getting rid of Wright's salary?  Focusing on Snell, if it is Wright plus 31, I'm in.  Snell would be useful and the cost wasn't much AND you moved money off the 21 cap.  If you are paying 18 for this it is much harder to stomach.  Snell is a very known quantity.  Frank has much more upside.  I'd have to know what other deals for Wright + 18 are on the table.  In other words, can you do Jackson plus 31 for Frank and Wright + 18 for a wing?

Schroder was VERY close to being sixth man of the year.  OKC has picks out the wazoo.  I don't think Wright plus 18 gets this done.

Oubre is intriguing as he doesn't seem to be in their long term plans.  I'm not sure Wright does anything for the Rubio led Suns.  I would burn 18 for an Oubre rental, but you probably need a third team.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & Free Agency (Nov 20?) + Salary Chart - by DanSchwartzgan - 09-22-2020, 07:50 AM