Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(09-21-2020, 03:37 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: A few have commented on how they believe player options aren't resolved until after the draft. Not sure how it works, but I'm pretty sure they have to be resolved before the draft so that teams know their situations beforehand. If such is not the case, the league needs to change it in the next CBA, because that's stupid.

BTW, I am ***out*** on the idea of burning the #18 just to get rid of Wright and his contract. We need that player on a rookie deal, or at least to get a win-now player who is better than that guy is as a rookie in return. There's got to be a better way.

Edit: did a little research. The deadline for player options until just a short time ago was Oct. 17, the day before the erstwhile date of the NBA draft. I would assume the new date is Nov. 17, the day before the new draft date. Hot damn!

Sorry, not true.

When the option date was 10/17, the draft was to be 10/16.  The final option date is always after the draft.

OPJ has the same after-draft deadline.  So, these trade designs where THJ and picks go for OPJ aren't going to work.  I'm not sure why we are looking in that direction anyway.  The idea would be to ADD OPJ to the core that is here.  The reason he is attractive is he is at the same time a good player and an expiring deal (like THJ).  Regardless, if there is a THJ for OPJ deal, it will be in the new season and it is highly unlikely 18 will be included.  Carry on.

(09-21-2020, 05:29 PM)Jason Terry Wrote: Yes we need a perimeter defender preferably a wing. 6’7” athlete DFS clone. This alone would make a big difference and there’s minutes available there

Maybe also add a defense first guard like Frank Ntilikana to match up with guys like Lillard. 

Then throw in someone maybe even vet min or WCS or Baynes ends up being the guy. But a D first big with some toughness and rebounding. 

I don’t think THj was that bad. He was asked to do more than he’s ever done in his career. Rick can turn anyone to a team defender if they bring the effort. Haven’t seen any indication that THj isn’t giving it his all. Same with Dorian. They, along with Luka, KP and Maxi played way too many minutes. I think the team defense will be better with a few additions bringing everyones minutes down. Just add a couple dogs and we will be fine. Rick will get everyone to buy in. And if it’s failure next year we can still move on. 2011 Mavs won with team defense

I see a potential starter in Frank depending on what happens elsewhere on the roster.  He is just nasty on D and won't be over exposed on O like he was in NY.  The Knicks have 13 PG's.  A simple Jackson for Frank or Jackson plus 31 for Frank deal makes sense for them.  They aren't going to make an $8mm QO for him and he will be gone in a year.

I find it interesting that you've mentioned Baynes a couple of times.  I see more potential in WCS, but if Willie opts out, then I don't mind a year of Baynes at all.  BTW, there isn't anything that says fifth starter can't be "by-committee".  You've got KP, DFS, THJ and Luka.  If we are playing Portland, maybe Frank starts.  Maybe Maxi starts against LAC or LAL to help with the bigger bodies that are too much for DFS.  As thin as we were at C this season, we didn't have a bench C who can defend if Maxi started.  That would be solved by either WCS or Baynes.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & Free Agency (Nov 20?) + Salary Chart - by DanSchwartzgan - 09-22-2020, 02:15 AM