Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(09-21-2020, 06:23 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: I think THJs production is easily replaced by quit a few of the available free agents and even more players if we include potential trade targets. Not to say that he is bad. He is a solid NBA player. Below average defender but good shooter. He finally found his role in Dallas. Career high 3PAr and the lowest usage rate since his first season in Atlanta.
It´s just that the Mavs need more from a starting wing. THJ is not really a 2nd or 3rd option and cannot carry the load when Luka is on the bench. He also is a bad defender. Meaning that despite his great shooting he does not fit into the 3&D role.

He certainly looks a lot better next to Luka but the same can be said for most of the Mavs players. Probably also for most role players around the league.

THJ had a 117 O-rating and 108.5 D-rating when he shared the floor with Luka. Without him he was clearly worse 113/110. With Luka he had 44/40/84 shooting splits. Without him he shot 43/38/79. He was +4.3 when he shared the floor with Luka. +0.6 without him.

He isn't great at creating his own shot and playmaking. That's why I said above, I believe the Mavs' greatest need is that Jrue Holiday type guy. If I were the Mavs and believed in Holiday's longevity, I would do everything I can and make everything but Luka and KP available to get Holiday, if an extension could be agreed on before the trade. But perhaps there are better and younger options (Schroeder?).

(09-21-2020, 06:48 PM)StepBackJay Wrote:
(09-21-2020, 05:04 PM)Kammrath Wrote: I put that word in quotes, because that was his reputation. He put up an INSANE amount of shots everywhere he has gone (especially threes), but never did it at a high percentage. If you shoot a lot at an average or lower percent you get labeled a "chucker."

THJ was NOT a "chucker" this year, but I guarantee, if his three % slips back to his career average you will start seeing that label on him A LOT.

I think it's reasonable to think THJ won't revert back to chucking bc he is in a much better system and doesn't have the chuck. He is clearly the 3rd option and gets lots of wide open f-ing shots that he is happy to hoist up there like he's at shoot-around. Forcing up shots is just unnecessary. The beauty of his deal is you get one more year (assuming he opts-in) to see how he fits.

Yes I would rather have a two-way player but I thought he better defensively than his reputation. I just don't believe the Mavs are going to trade him unless they get a clear upgrade bc why would they? Otherwise see what happens in 2021, you will have options to upgrade his position then.

I would still love to see them do so well this offseason as to be able to bring him off the bench if he stays another year. If all they want him to do is expire (or sign for way less next summer) and not trade him, there's no harm in that. I just don't see a path to two new starters (Luka, KP, and DFS stay in the starting lineup) without trading THJ, although I still think that if they nail the draft and can get a good rental with the MLE, that would still be better than the season-end situation. And no, please no Powell back in the starting lineup. He likely wouldn't be back until midseason anyway, and will have a lot of rust as he comes back.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & Free Agency (Nov 20?) + Salary Chart - by Scott41theMavs - 09-21-2020, 06:48 PM