Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(09-21-2020, 02:39 PM)ItsGoTime wrote: Wrote: I’m very sure OPJ could replace what THJ did for us this last year on offense

Man, I just spent some time looking at shooting stats and I'm not sure how you can say this. 

There really are only a handful of shooters in the game who are good enough to shoot a high volume of 3's at an elite percentage. THJ is one of them. Curry, for example, is amazing by percentage alone, but he just can't seem to get as many shots off as you'd like. I don't know if it's his size or if his release is too slow, or what, but he gets run off of the line a lot more than I feel he should. I think it's really difficult in today's analytic culture to GET OFF a high number of 3's, and if you can do that AND shoot a high percentage...man, I think teams drool over those guys more than this board does. 

I just spent some time at basketball-reference. I wish I could just share the table, but I'm retarded, sorry. 

Out of all players who attempted at least 500 3's, THJ (513 attempts) was 4th in percentage (.398!!!).

The only shooters who were better, in what I consider to be a difference making way, were:

Damian Lillard (.401 on 674 attempts) 
Buddy Hield (.394 on 688 attempts) 
Duncan Robinson (.446 on 606 attempts)

Imo, those three players represent the top tier of shooters, and probably belong in that order. I mean, Robinson was the most efficient, by far, but I just feel like Hield and especially Lillard are asked to do so much more than just shoot that their percentages are a little more impressive. By comparison to Lillard, Harden shot .355 on 843 attempts, which I feel is the official "diminishing returns" example. 

Literally, once you get past those three names, THJ had the best high volume shooting season in the NBA last year. In my opinion, this is being grossly undervalued on this board.

@"Kammrath" you're going to have to teach me how to share this stuff. That way I won't have to read about how lazy you think I am.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & Free Agency (Nov 20?) + Salary Chart - by KillerLeft - 09-21-2020, 04:03 PM