Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(09-16-2020, 04:35 PM)omahen Wrote: Well, what they have now is also not better than first round exit. So I don't believe what they have now can improve to a real contender status. This simply means, they have to make a change. Of course there is always risk it will go wrong. But I don't think a couple of roster tweaks would really have a high risk of making this team worse. I am much more worried about injuries.

Yes, I understand completely what you're saying. What I'm saying, and where I think we differ is that I DON'T believe this same team being a first round exit next season is a foregone conclusion. Far from it, in fact. Contender status? Well now, that's different, but if I'm the Mavs GM I'm confident enough that my team is still improving that I don't feel backed into a corner the way Daryl Morey probably feels right now, for example. I look for deals that make sense, knowing that the "minimal roster turnover" card is a decent one to play this time around the table if I choose. 

At some point, yes, they will reach a point where they'll have to take risks to get better. No doubt about that. I just don't think they're at that point yet. I'm not even saying I don't want them to make a great deal, if it's there, or use the MLE on a guy they think can help. I'm just hoping they don't do something STUPID because..."do something." 

I think you and I are closer than I originally thought. I find it difficult to follow the rhythm of your writing at times (Eastern European, maybe?), but it's usually worth the effort when I can. Later in this post you used the words "2-3 tweaks" and I have absolutely no issues with that kind of approach.

(09-16-2020, 04:38 PM)omahen Wrote:
(09-16-2020, 04:36 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I guess what I'm saying is that I don't see ANY need the team has that's worth gutting the team to fix. I think from here on out, continuity is much more important than it was at any point between 2011 and this moment, right now.

Agree. But still they need to aggresively explore ways to get better. Within limitations of what you said. So not trading half the team for something that might be better on paper. But improving here and there using assets.

YES!

Man, so much of message board communication is about word choice. Sorry if this was all for nothing. I agree with the above, word for word.

(09-16-2020, 04:36 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: I feel reasonably sure the Mavs will reload this roster having 2 good picks and MLE space that they can leverage. I felt that way last summer and we ended up with Curry and Wright which wasn't the most successful haul ever but Curry is an asset. I fully expect Mavs will bring in some good talent to shore up some holes and also reserve tons of powder for 2021.

This was right where I was a few weeks back, and might be the case. 

The thing is, the more people from around here show the list of who will actually be free in 2021, the more reality sets in that it kind of is "Giannis or bust" as there aren't REALLY that many other attractive options. While I think the Mavs are much more likely to be successful in a FA competition for Giannis than they ever were to get Dwight Howard, Deron Williams, etc (all of that was just flatly delusional) I still don't think you can call it "likely" with a straight face, and the absence of fallback options has me feeling differently. 

I'm kind of wondering whether they'll decide to shoot their shot this year, as many have been saying.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & Free Agency (Nov 20?) + Salary Chart - by KillerLeft - 09-16-2020, 04:44 PM