Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(09-14-2020, 01:16 AM)omahen Wrote:
(09-13-2020, 11:04 PM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: 2.  Do you really give up 18 for an expiring deal?

Perhaps the closest comparison is last year TDL Morris deal. Clippers paid first rounder and pick swap for him. I don't think #31 is enough (if you don't give Brunson). Perhaps #31 and a couple of future seconds? #18 for #25 swap seems a bit light.

Which is essentially a first and expiring Harkless for two playoff runs with Morris (we can only hope LAC is bad enough to swap picks with NYK next season).   We'd only get one playoff run with Schroder.  Still, you are probably right about 18 being fair.  If I'm OKC, I probably ask for Brunson, pick swap and #31 (maybe give back a future second).  Brunson isn't a focal point necessarily, but OKC will need a backup PG and Brunson is good at that and cheap.  

Don't forget the TPE possibility.  From the Mav's perspective, if I send Jackson with Wright, this is probably a simultaneous trade (it could be non-simultaneous, but the TPE would be much smaller).  If I send Brunson with Wright, it opens up the possibility of a non-simultaneous trade.  Wright and Brunson fit into TPE's and we can send up to an additional $9.9mm ($20.5mm minus $10.6mm combined for Wright and Brunson).  That size TPE would allow us to do a S&T for a FA for a few dollars above the MLE.

Two other concerns...Schroder's agent also represents Seth.  Schroder would essentially block Curry's path to starting.  It isn't that often you see an agent represent two guys at the same position on the same team.  Schroder's agent also represents Giannis.  IF (in bold leters with big font) there is a plan to get Giannis to Dallas, the agent would have to be careful here.  Schroder would have to be taken care of as the agent can't throw one client under the bus for the benefit of the other.

I'm a little luke warm on all of this.  There will be a good PG possibility at 18 (or earlier if you trade up)  Brunson is more than serviceable running the second team.  Depending on how expensive this gets, I would want to extend Schroder before agreeing or pass completely despite thinking he's a good fit here.  I would need to find something tangible that says he's really grown up in the last couple of years.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & Free Agency (Nov 20?) + Salary Chart - by DanSchwartzgan - 09-14-2020, 06:37 AM