Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(09-13-2020, 11:04 PM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: Did I miss a Schroder rumor somewhere in the last 3 pages or are we just having a conversation?

It makes great sense for OKC to trade him before he becomes UFA in a year.  He certainly meets the criteria of "a better version of Burke" on the court, though 19/20 was a career year in many ways.  

A couple thoughts...

1.  No idea if he has truly grown up off the court or not.  Certainly a concern.

2.  Do you really give up 18 for an expiring deal?  How about a swap of 18 for 25?  How about 31?  My squeamishness may be a sign of a reasonable deal.  But, it feels rich for a possible rental.

3.  I would think they'd want Brunson if they are shipping out Paul and Schroder.  Wright plus Brunson is a legal trade.  Add appropriate draft compensation from there.

4.  OKC has two large TPE's.  One for $9mm and one for $10mm plus two smaller ones.  There are ways to get creative here.  Maybe we are part of the salary that comes back to OKC as part of a Paul deal.  Maybe it is Jackson after doing Wright/Brunson into TPE's (that would create a $5mm TPE for us.  Maybe we use Lee to manufacture a large expiring deal of about $10mm (still using Wright/Brunson into TPE's) to help get a large deal across the finish line?  We would create a sizable TPE and OKC could get an expiring contract instead of someone they may not want. 

5.  Schroder is GREAT at corner 3's and C&S 3's.  He's really bad at Pull Up 3's.  His percentages would go up a ton if he took fewer of the latter, but you lose much of what he brings to the table if you just stand him in the corner.  What Burke did was a pretty good model if Schroder can be convinced of the strategy.    

BTW, Hollinger voted for Schroder for Sixth Man.  Here is what he wrote at the time:

"Oklahoma City’s Dennis Schröder had a career year, playing some of the best offense of his career and by far the best defense. His emergence enabled the Thunder to close games with a fearsome three-guard lineup, one that also helped them hide glaring weaknesses on the wing. By my methodology, he was the only bench player to generate more than $20 million in value this season. In a crowded field, his two-way contribution gives him the upper hand. Additionally, one can argue Schröder’s season mattered – it was a huge factor in the Thunder’s surprising playoff push this year.

I’ve put Schröder first on my ballot and Wood second."

@"Kammrath" had to put a little more air under the ball than he wanted, but @"DanSchwartzman" finally flushed it home!

MVP
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & Free Agency (Nov 20?) + Salary Chart - by KillerLeft - 09-13-2020, 11:17 PM