Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(09-13-2020, 11:48 AM)Jason Terry Wrote: To them it wouldn’t be just 18 vs White. They’re at $119 million before capholds for players like Forbes. We could save them about 5 million on next season’s cap. That matters especially: 1) covid effects on tickets 2) spurs primed for rebuild 3) already over cap and projections cap will be lower

I'll add that as an RFA in 21, he might be more valuable to another team than he is to San Antonio.  Could White start here?  Probably.  Does he start in SA?  No.  I could see White as part of a two player Plan Powder split in 21 and I could see his number at greater than the MLE.  Would he be worth that as a third guard in SA?

If anyone can find a replacement for White at #18 it is SA.  They have found so many late 20's gems over the years they would look at 18 and say "this is too easy".

Glad you found the board.

(09-13-2020, 09:18 AM)omahen Wrote:
(09-13-2020, 08:47 AM)Mavs2019 Wrote: Thad Young cost 10M, when he was two years younger and not coming off his worst season in a decade. I seriously can´t figure out why he has become such a desirable target.

Because he can be realistically obtained for a crappy contract like Wright and probably fits our team much better than Wright.

True.  Who knows how difficult/easy Wright will be able to move.  He was probably a mistake here and fans in Chicago look at Young as a mistake there.  I have no idea what the plan is with Dunn, but if he isn't retained, Wright slots in as a 3rd guard between LaVine and White.  As I mentioned yesterday, a SW of Wright is $2.8mm vs. $6mm guaranteed for Young.  If Chicago tries to hold some dry powder for 2021, as they should, it is cheaper to SW Wright than eat the non-guaranteed part of Young.

But, I think there is more to it than that.  Young's three strongest areas, according to BB Index are Perimeter D, Perimeter Shooting and Playmaking.  Those happen to be the biggest areas of need for Dallas.  I think you have to give anyone on Boylan's 28th ranked O a little grace.  Especially, if they have a history of being better than what they showed in Chicago last season.  BB Index ranks leaders in various categories and Young has been Top 25 in Perimeter D in each of the last 3 seasons (25, 3, 23).  Their rank has multiple inputs from various elements of Perimeter D.  KP and Maxi provide good rim protection.  We need improved perimeter D from just about every other position.  Young adds a ton there which is especially valuable in the west where many of the best players are Power Wings.

Young was in the 67th percentile as a perimeter shooter last season with an openness rating in the 27th percentile.  Luka raises the TS% of just about everyone he plays with by about .30.  Young will get much better looks here.  When he doesn't, he's highly rated for his position as both a driver and a passer.  And, his history is one of being a plus player in on minus off measurements.  Third Star...No.  But, there is a lot to like here.  Insert him guarding Kawhi and let Maxi play his usual good bench D and keep DFS on Paul George at all times and we would have been much more successful against LAC.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & Free Agency (Oct 18?) + Salary Chart - by DanSchwartzgan - 09-13-2020, 01:00 PM