Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(09-12-2020, 03:58 PM)Kammrath Wrote:
(09-12-2020, 03:24 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: All of this is to illustrate that Luka's insanely high usage is not by design.

I disagree. I think RC knows the more times you have the ball in Luka's hands, the more success you will have. 

I think next year Luka's usage will be about the same as this year. I will be shocked with any significant cut, especially in the playoffs.

You might be right about the usage rate, Kamm, but you will never convince me that Carlisle doesn't want options.

I'm in no way saying that he doesn't realize Luka with the ball in his hands will always be the best option, and I'm not saying that they're looking at his usage rate right now going "well, that can't happen again." But my goodness, how could you watch that series without realizing that another player who can create is needed?

I already trust Luka to handle pressure like a vet - that's amazing. But, in some situations, the right play out of a double doesn't find a shooter. It's more like a Hockey assist. If the first pass finds a dude who doesn't know what to do with it, then the defense has effectively taken Luka's value away. Now, hopefully, the Mavs' offense isn't endeavoring to mimic Houston's to the point where everyone is literally standing around watching Harden, but I do think they're similar enough in system to show us what you get when only one player on the floor can make decisions with the ball. 

Again, we KNOW what they think about this, because A) they say it all the time. B) they went after Kemba Walker hard. C) They were so desperate for someone like that they played Trey Burke heavy minutes in the playoffs after scooping him off the street right before the bubble. I don't see how any of that is debatable.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & Free Agency (Oct 18?) + Salary Chart - by KillerLeft - 09-12-2020, 04:18 PM