Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(09-12-2020, 02:43 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Ibaka spent most of his career as a PF. Just because he plays more center for the Raptors doesn't mean he can't play PF. In Rick's offense he likes a stretch 4 (and these days I guess so does everybody?). Ibaka has position flex like Maxi, he can play PF or center. He also has more offensive tools than Maxi does. I think you saw some success in the playoffs with Maxi playing next to KP in the starting lineup. I have argued all year that the reason Rick doesn't usually play them together is that he likes Maxi playing the KP "role" off the bench.

If Ibaka came here it would be as the starter next to KP, filling the same role Maxi did in the playoffs but they are switchable depending on the matchup. As Dan mentioned, Maxi can guard better on the perimeter so you still have the option to start him in some matchups.

I also like Jae Crowder (yet another 30 yr old) in that role if you want to go with more of a pure PF. If the Mavs signed Crowder back to fill that PF spot I would also be good with that idea. Crowder is also a guy the Heat aren't going to sign for more than 1 year as they want to clear 2021 cap space.

Yes, Ibaka played PF in the old NBA, as a much younger player. Yes, he CAN play there. No, he wouldn't be GOOD there today, as a much older player in a game that's played significantly differently, and no, the Mavericks 100% would not view him as interchangeable with how Kleber was used in this season's playoffs. If you think differently, then you haven't watched Ibaka enough over the past 5 years. He absolutely could not have done what they just asked Kleber to do against the Clippers.

He can play the 4 (which really doesn't exist anymore, so we should just say wing) fine on offense, but as Dan rightly stated, the combination of KP/Ibaka together on defense, against the 95% of NBA teams who run a constant barrage of spread pick and rolls, would be disaster. 

In 2021, Ibaka is a center.

(09-12-2020, 02:58 PM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: Here are the uses I see if Ibaka is the way we use the MLE:

1.  Great interior D 100% of the time whether it is KP at C or Ibaka at C.

2.  An accomplished starting center for the games KP sits or is injured.

3.  Improved bench rebounding.

4.  Lineup versatility against Zubac and Jokic.

I think #2 is the greatest value.  Losing KP for stretches of the season (or playoffs) is season-altering.  Too much risk to leave unaddressed.  

In #4, I'm not saying you would start Ibaka against LAC or DEN, but you might rotate differently to take some of the big body pressure off of KP.  If we had a really good guard who was a candidate to start (better than Curry or Brunson), then you could start Maxi with KP, Luka, DFS and THJ against teams with bigger lineups (like we did in the playoffs) and that guard in Maxi's place against teams that skew smaller.

Yeah, so I agree with every word of this. And, if this is the best you can do, you do it, because it does move the team in the right direction. 

But, this is not one of the "two new starters" everyone has been screaming for here. That's all I'm saying. I think many of the same people wanting to get this guy are going to turn around and blame Carlisle for not playing him, not realizing that not even IBAKA himself thinks he can start next to KP. My issue is that people's expectations need to be in line with reality.

(09-12-2020, 02:43 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: I also like Jae Crowder (yet another 30 yr old) in that role if you want to go with more of a pure PF. If the Mavs signed Crowder back to fill that PF spot I would also be good with that idea. Crowder is also a guy the Heat aren't going to sign for more than 1 year as they want to clear 2021 cap space.

I like this, personally, though I'd hate to overpay. But, THIS is a 4 in 2020. I wish he were taller and longer, for sure, but the minimum requirement is to be able to move like Crowder does. 

Ideally, you want a guy who moves like Crowder, plays tough like Crowder, isn't afraid to shoot in big moments like Crowder, but who is 6'8-6-'9" with a 7' wingspan. Middleton (who you're not getting, obvs) is the prototypical dude who pops into my head.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & Free Agency (Oct 18?) + Salary Chart - by KillerLeft - 09-12-2020, 02:59 PM