Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(09-12-2020, 10:58 AM)Omega_Supreme Wrote: this Ibaka idea

I love this Ibaka idea. A high IQ defender that can double as a stretch 4/5 and doesn't require shots to be effective. 

I also think he could be an effective lob threat being a screener for Luka. Mavs should match whatever offer Toronto gives, but add an extra year.

But targeting Ibaka makes one of Powell or Maxi redundant and expendable. If the Mavs offer Ibaka a 2 (or even 3) year MLE deal, which is what I think is what it'd take for Ibaka to come here, then I'd have to imagine they'd trade one of Powell or Maxi to keep 2021 space open. 

In my pipe dream, the Mavs sign Ibaka, and trade Powell, Wright, and THJ (plus whatever picks) to the Spurs for DeRozan and White. 

This way the Mavs still have max room for 2021, and replaced our 3 worst players with a reclamation all-star, a top 20 defender, and an offensive creator. 

Next year Mavs go in with
Luka/Brunson/White
DeRozan/Curry/Lee
DFS/DeRozan/Jackson/Reeves
KP/Maxi/Ibaka
Ibaka/Boban/*maybe WCS?

Mavs could maybe add Gay to the trade above and they'd still have max room in 2021 plus another solid starting wing. Is THJ expiring, broken Powell, and Wright plus 18+31 enough for the Spurs? I doubt it. But I don't know what team would want DeRozan besides the Knicks. 

Honestly that team looks like a dark horse title contender to me. Mavs with this roster pushed arguably the strongest playoff team to their limits. Replace the weakest links with an all-star and some solid role players? Whew...
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & Free Agency (Oct 18?) + Salary Chart - by SleepingHero - 09-12-2020, 11:39 AM