Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(09-12-2020, 08:43 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote:
(09-11-2020, 05:36 PM)khaled1987 Wrote: AD, Lebron, Kawhi, PG, Oladipo, Derozen, Gobert, Adams and maybe even Jrue will be free agents in 2021 most likely.

Other 2nd tier Dinwiddie, Schroder, Josh Richardson, Oubre, Bjelica, Aldridge, Conley. Could move some names like Adams and Derozen to 2nd tier.Those are players we basically get for THJ and may be Wright and whatever we put on trade for him. 

I don't have a problem with criticizing plan powder, I have a problem with the alternatives

Let me stat this in more clear way: I am not against spending MLE in 2020. If we keep a room for flexibility in 2021 I have no problem with it.  

We trade our expirings for long term contracts? That is a big no for me. 

I didn't refer to your trades specifically, I replied first at DanSchwartzman  post. 

I am all for trading Wright and Jackson too. Specially 
Wright since he neither fit win now or win later. 

Omahen already made the point about the biggest flaw in your argument...AD, Lebron, Kawhi and PG aren't coming here and Gobert and Adams aren't really fits.  Jrue fits, but as was stated earlier in the thread, if he is available, he will move by trade, not by free agency.

So, what do you have left?  Oladipo, DeRozan, Dinwiddie, Schroeder, Richardson, Oubre, Bjelica, Aldridge or Conley.  

5.  If you trade those two AND let THJ expire AND use the MLE (which seems to be your plan), you will likely have between $22mm and $32mm in space depending on the cap (which is unknowable at this time).  If we get the lower end number, all you've really done is replace Hardaway.  You've not added anything.  Even if the cap is larger, you haven't added a star.  If you split the space, you've replaced THJ and added a 3rd/4th starter type.  You can do that in trade in 2020 and not have to worry about the cap.
One problem I have with a lot of the cap analysis is that people automatically assume players will get these massive contract offers. Besides the reduced/stagnant cap COVID has real life implications for a lot of owners. To most basketball is a money-making vehicle and I just don´t see some owner of a 30 win franchise go out and give DeRozan a long-term max contract just so he can elevate them to 42 wins. Assuming he´d want to sign with such a franchise.

The whole point of putting out a more competitive product for shitty teams (on paper) is to sell season tickets. Well currently there are no tickets to sell. I honest expect players like DeRozan or Oladipo to have to settle for 100/4, if they want a long-term deal. Also isn´t 2021 supposed to be this super draft class, too?

______

I´m very much in favour of adding some players with the MLE, because I assume the chance to create a value contract exists under these circumstances. Or you overpay two younger minimum level players (with a 1+1 team option) to see whether you can elevate their game. Players like Noah Vonleh, Stanley Johnson, Harry Giles, Josh Jackson, Juancho and Willy Hernangomez.

That´s probably the biggest reason to oppose Plan Powder. Say you split the MLE between Josh Jackson and Noah Vonleh, add the #18, #31 and maybe one undrafted rookie for a two-way contract. Suddenly you have five players age 25 or under. Odds are at least one can crack your rotation long-term. That´s already better than giving new contracts to Courtney Lee or JJB. It´s also another reason to trade Delon Wright. He blocks a roster spot. The Mavs need to build a core around Luka and to me that means trying out as many young players as possible in the fringe roster spots 12-15.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & Free Agency (Oct 18?) + Salary Chart - by Mavs2019 - 09-12-2020, 09:15 AM