Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(09-11-2020, 05:06 PM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: Denver has Millsap, Craig, Plumlee and Grant all free this summer.   Grant was probably brought in to eventually take over for Millsap.  That would indicate he's in their plans (and Millsap is available to us).  But, did they anticipate Porter?  Could they find a backup PF cheaper than $12mm?  Probably.    Denver gave Plumlee 3/$41 last time he was a FA.  Do they pay two back up bigs over the MLE?  What about backup PG?  Denver doesn't have money issues right now, but pay Plumlee and Grant above the MLE, keep Craig at a reasonable (DFS-like) number and sign a backup PG using some/all of the MLE and they are at/above the tax line.  I think you pay tax if you are the third best team in the west, but I don't know Denver's financial situation post-Covid.

I don't know much ab Craig but Plumlee would certainly be lower priority than Grant. Mil;sap probably as well but I could see him coming back on a very team-friendly deal. The price they gave to get Grant is not immaterial at all including the fact that they gave up a pick literally just last summer. That shows they valued Grant and I would anticipate him starting into the future even if there is a logjam with him, Porter and Millsap. Millsap is a 36 yr-old FA so they would have to lock up Grant before worrying ab PM. If Mavs traded a first for a player only to let him walk the next year we would lose our shit. I can't see a scenario where Nuggets let themselves get outbid.

Mavs only have MLE to offer and there would be several teams imo who would be willing to give that for a 3D 26-yr old starting forward. If the Mavs could offer a future first rounder to Denver to agree to a S&T maybe they would entertain that idea? That would be the only angle I could see if Denver sees Grant's price tag going too high maybe they consider such an idea.

(09-11-2020, 05:18 PM)DanSchwartzman Wrote:
(09-11-2020, 05:08 PM)cow Wrote: Too bad Millsap will be or near 36yo when next season starts.

Yeah, but doesn't that make him a good one year MLE guarantee guy as a stop gap to get to 2021?   

Denver's O was 3.4 pp100 better when he was on the floor.  Their D was 7.9 pp100 better.  Combined that is 11.3.  His Net Rating was best on the team this season and last.  I'd start him for a year here if I were trying to facilitate Plan Have it Both Ways.

@"DanSchwartzman" can you or someone else remind me if you can do 1 yr contracts with MLE? I thought maybe there was a minimum amount of years you had to do on those. I would definitely be interested in a 1 yr Paul Millsap deal.

(09-11-2020, 04:33 PM)omahen Wrote:
(09-11-2020, 04:04 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: CP3 for opted-in THJ, Powell & Wright (post-Giannis supermax)

Even if Mavs would, OKC wouldn't for this package. Add picks and they might consider. I doubt CP3 and MLE makes us a contender and there are too many injury risks involved, so I would pass.

I don't think OKC would go for it either altho in a hypothetical situation I would do it absent picks. If it required 1 pick I might consider. It just depends on how high or low the MBT is on the current CP3. My guess is that they aren't real high, especially considering his age and temperament. In my view they would like to assemble a team of 20-somethings that can compete for multiple years.

I miss the old days when Donnie would get a lot done with trades. I think you will see guys this year get moved that ppl said last year were untradable. Players with talent are tradable even if they are overpaid bc there is just not enough talent to go around and there are too many dollars to spend.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & Free Agency (Oct 18?) + Salary Chart - by StepBackJay - 09-11-2020, 05:53 PM