Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(09-11-2020, 02:19 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Grant would be amazing. I can't see any reason why he wouldn't opt out of his current contract as it should be easy for him to resign for more with the Nuggets or another team. The issue for me is why would Denver who gave up a 1st round pick not simply resign him to a long-term deal that is above MLE?  

You've identified the one "control" Denver has...going above the MLE.  The price Denver paid to get Grant is really immaterial short of that because they don't control him.  He's probably destined to come off the bench with the emergence of Porter.  Would he prefer to start here vs. come off the bench in Denver if both teams offer MLE money?  You are absolutely right that he takes $12mm to come off the Denver bench vs. $10mm to start here.   

Denver has Millsap, Craig, Plumlee and Grant all free this summer.   Grant was probably brought in to eventually take over for Millsap.  That would indicate he's in their plans (and Millsap is available to us).  But, did they anticipate Porter?  Could they find a backup PF cheaper than $12mm?  Probably.    Denver gave Plumlee 3/$41 last time he was a FA.  Do they pay two back up bigs over the MLE?  What about backup PG?  Denver doesn't have money issues right now, but pay Plumlee and Grant above the MLE, keep Craig at a reasonable (DFS-like) number and sign a backup PG using some/all of the MLE and they are at/above the tax line.  I think you pay tax if you are the third best team in the west, but I don't know Denver's financial situation post-Covid.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & Free Agency (Oct 18?) + Salary Chart - by DanSchwartzgan - 09-11-2020, 05:06 PM