Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(09-11-2020, 12:51 PM)omahen Wrote:
(09-11-2020, 12:36 PM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: Jrue

He is probably best possible fit next to Luka. Add another strong wing defender who can hit an open three and we become contender number one imho.

The question about Jrue is how much competition can offer. There are several teams who feel they are one move away. Just a couple of examples:

Brooklyn can easily make a far more compelling offer aroundd LeVert, some young players (Kurucs) and picks. Dallas can't even come close to that with all picks.

Denver would most likely not want to include MPJ, but they have all picks but 2020 available for trade.

Miami has cap space, young players, 2020 and 2022 picks.

Unfortunately, I don't think an offer of Wright, Jackson and a couple of mediocre picks would be competitive. Even if you add Kleber or Curry. I am affraid Jrue is too big of a target.

Sadly, you are probably right.  

I do think there are plenty of targets one tier down that some combination of assets can attract.  You've done a good job in other posts debunking the wonderfulness of the 21 FA class as either unrealistic (Davis, Kawhi, Lebron), bad fits or nothing better than what you might get in trade in 2020.

The purpose of my post this morning wasn't to be a Plan Powder hater (not directed at you).  I've said there are three legitimate paths.  Plan Powder, Plan Go For It Now and Plan Have It Both Ways.  I don't believe any is inherently good or bad.  We don't have enough information to judge really.  If you knew this trade was available in 2020 or that FA would definitely sign here in 2021, then you could make a rational evaluation.  I do think it fair to point out that a Max FA in 21 probably costs THJ, or some other member of the beloved bench core (you can't just waive a magic wand and make players you don't like go away), the MLE in 2020 and any 2020 trade that includes taking on longer term money.  That is a lot.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & Free Agency (Oct 18?) + Salary Chart - by DanSchwartzgan - 09-11-2020, 04:40 PM